HELP! Grading HD

I am a student and production managing a short that we shot on HD but downcoverted to do my offline edit. However when the editor went to capture the online today the timecodes for some werid reason do not match and the online capture has resulted in the wrong footage being captured.

We have been told that i either have to recapture and edit the film again or simply grade the downconverted footage.

The delivery format is tape HD and Digibeta and we do not intend to blow up to film at all. Is it a good idea to proceed with the downconverted footage or is it worth starting all over again. The film is aimed at festivals and we are doing the grading/colouring in a professional studio.

Would it still look okay?

What exactly did you do your downconvert onto? Generally, whatever you have as your offline is not something that's high quality enough to show to anyone. If it was me, I would want to go through the trouble of figuring out what happened here, and try to push the HD version through. You're probably going to be really disappointed with the results if you use the offline version.

Well basically, whatever it looks like now is what it's going to look like on the big screen, except color-corrected. It's not going to look any better unless you re-do it in HD. It's basically your call whether you think this is adequate to show (my guess is that it isn't), and whether it's worth the time and effort to fix it.

I am a student and production managing a short that we shot on HD but downcoverted to do my offline edit. However when the editor went to capture the online today the timecodes for some werid reason do not match and the online capture has resulted in the wrong footage being captured.

We have been told that i either have to recapture and edit the film again or simply grade the downconverted footage.

The delivery format is tape HD and Digibeta and we do not intend to blow up to film at all. Is it a good idea to proceed with the downconverted footage or is it worth starting all over again. The film is aimed at festivals and we are doing the grading/colouring in a professional studio.

Would it still look okay?

If you still need help , check out HDCameraGuide.com , they have a new feature that allows you to ask professionals such as Larry Thorpe of Canon’s Broadcast Division’s HD or veteran director of photography James Mathers . Just submit a question and you will get a response rather quickly!

Good Luck!

Although you could grade the downconverted DV footage and it would probably look fine - your selling your project short if you have the rushes on HD. Also DV images degrade quite quickly if you have to do a lot of grading.

The best bet would be to re-conform the HD rushes - its a pain to eye match the whole film. But if your organised you should be able to do it fairly quickly.

It will take a lot less time then the orignal edit. I have eye matched a 9 minute film, once and it took less then a day to do, but it had quite long takes and not too many cuts. If you can work out what the timecode offset is between your DV rushes and HD rushes it might be possible to conform it more quickly by edting the edl.

So re-doing the edit is a pain but its not going to take nearly as long as the original edit - since all the hard work is done and your just overlaying the HD shots and matching them in - with practice, you can get quite quick at it.