Robby Muller's look

Hi, I'm looking to achieve a green cast from a fluorescent source, like robby müller did on "The American Friend" or "Paris, Texas" and many others... The main problem it's the sources are in the frame.

What type of tubes and gels do i need?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hi, I'm looking to achieve a green cast from a fluorescent source, like robby müller did on "The American Friend" or "Paris, Texas" and many others... The main problem it's the sources are in the frame.

What type of tubes and gels do i need?

Thanks.

You need to use Cool White tubes with the camera at a 3200K base for "white" so that the bulbs read as blue + green (cyan). If you were at a 5600K base, then Cool Whites are less interesting since they are 4800K... the look is just sort of a pale, sickly green-yellow in daylight balance, not the interesting cyan look in tungsten balance. But it's important think about how to mix that color with other practicals, I tend to think that Cool White tubes look more interesting in the background of a tungsten-lit shot, or for select accents. Or for fill, sometimes I like that effect you see in night exterior urban photography from orange-yellow sodium-ish backlighting and cyan metal halide-ish fill.

• Upvote 1

I like that effect you see in night exterior urban photography from orange-yellow sodium-ish backlighting and cyan metal halide-ish fill.

I'm looking to mix green fluo lights and orange-yellow tungsten sources... So, i think i'm going with cool white tubes and tungsten with half or full CTS.

Thanks again.