Lens breathing?

• Premium Member
Hi hope this is the right place to ask a newbie question but what is meant by the term "breathing"

As in ....this lens tends to breath a bit....

Thanks in anticipation of an answer

Mike

The image size gets bigger or smaller when you adjust the focus.

• Premium Member
It's also a sign of a cheap lens.

And many older, not so cheap zooms!

Also breathing usually more prominent in still lenses as this doesn't really matter for photography (well sometimes it does, but not as much as in cinematography).

Regards, Dave

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience the term lens breathing is when the camera tries to focus on its own. In the manual mode it would try to pull its own focus and the focus moves like a breath for a bit. This is on the XL-1 though and I was told was because the camera needs to be cleaned.

In my experience the term lens breathing is when the camera tries to focus on its own. In the manual mode it would try to pull its own focus and the focus moves like a breath for a bit. This is on the XL-1 though and I was told was because the camera needs to be cleaned.

That's not breathing, more like short-circuited electronics. Or, it could be called self-instantiated auto-focus hunting with quantized focal drift positioning.

Edited by Mark Bonnington

And many older, not so cheap zooms!

Also breathing usually more prominent in still lenses as this doesn't really matter for photography (well sometimes it does, but not as much as in cinematography).

Regards, Dave

It's extremely common on most of modern SD & HD video lenses. It's usually the wide angle zooms that tend not to have breathing as a built in feature. Although perhaps there it's reduced to not usually noticeable level. i.e. you have to look for it.