Lenses and adapters for GY HD111

Mike Currell

Hi all

Please excuse but I have only turned "lensman" in the last couple of years after a long career in media doing "other things" so I hope my question is not too blonde!

The HD111 is a fantastic camera so similar to the betacams we used to use with much better pictures! I have two and they keep on blowing us away with results....Anyhoo I would like to experiment with differrent lenses. Firstly I understand that the cams have "1/3 lenses" I'm not sure what this really means however assume that it is referring to the type of mount. I therefore need an adapter to use differrent lenses. I understand that I will have to recalibrate the focal flange length if I change lenses.

This brings me to the next issue and that is what kind of lenses should I be looking to experiment with?

Basically I would like to try a wide angle lens (I have a wide angle converter but I want something wider - 28mm fisheye?) And I would also like to try a variety of Zoom lenses. I see a lot of c-mount lenses that look like fun, in particular some of the older "som berthiot" lenses on e-bay.

Can these be used on a HD111? Or am I going to be sadly dissillusioned and have to spend a lot of spondooly?

Can anyone advise on types of adapters for my cam and where to get them?

Cheers

Mike

Ahh have read previous post and now have more of an understanding. 1/3 refers to the projected size of the image from the lens and the size of the sensor? as in 1/3CCD camera! Still would like to get some hints on what lenses and adapters work on the HD111 based on my previous post.

Cheers ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Trevor Swaim
:ph34r: hmmmmm you JVC people are a quite bunch!

What I'm gathering is that maybe lenses used on 16mm cams are close to one third - is this true?

no, 16mm is close to 2/3" for all intents and purposes they are the same. Super8 is closer it is IIRC .277" 16mm lenses will of course have no problem covering the 1/3" chips on a our cams but I have found it to be not cost effective. I love/loved my hd110 (its for sale) but IMO JVC really crippled it when they went with the 1/3" bayonet mount for it. It would have been huge if it had had something like a C mount on it.

Guest Trevor Swaim
I see a lot of c-mount lenses that look like fun, in particular some of the older "som berthiot" lenses on e-bay.

Can these be used on a HD111? Or am I going to be sadly dissillusioned and have to spend a lot of spondooly?

Nope C Mount won't work be cause the flange focal distance is 12.52mm The JVC mount is 31mm. Sorry but this was a disastrous mistake on the part of JVC.

Understood, Ill save my money then - thanks Trevor. The 111 suits my current application, mainly weddings and corporates, still think they are a nice camera. Here in the tropics, we are usually shooting in high light with blue skys and emerald/turquoise seas etc. The scenery is breathtaking and when I get everything right the results from the 111 are quite impressive.....point taken tho about JVC shooting themselves in the foot!

Mike

• 1 month later...
Understood, Ill save my money then - thanks Trevor. The 111 suits my current application, mainly weddings and corporates, still think they are a nice camera. Here in the tropics, we are usually shooting in high light with blue skys and emerald/turquoise seas etc. The scenery is breathtaking and when I get everything right the results from the 111 are quite impressive.....point taken tho about JVC shooting themselves in the foot!

Mike

JVC sells adapters from the 1/3" bayonet mount to use 1/2" or 2/3" broadcast lenses and PL lenses. For budget and flexibility the 2/3" adapter is a great option. I've seen the adapter priced as low as $300 up to about $1200 from Fujinon. The JVC brand adapter is $700 at B&H. This will let you use the same lenses as the Cinealta F900. Shows like Gossip Girl, Damages & Rescue Me use these lenses for HDTV, so rental access is relatively easy. The PL adapter is about $4000, plus the cost goes up for lens rentals, but you can find some top quality glass. Also, it flips the image. I don't know if the HD111 has image-flip but the 200 & 700 series do.

There was a feature called Gabriel (2007) shot entirely on the HD100. The final product was blown up to 35mm prints and released in theaters worldwide. For all the hate toward JVC's mount, the guts are a great bang for your buck.