SAME SUBJECT - 2 DIFFERENT FILMS

Keneu Luca

TOMBSTONE - 1993

WYATT EARP - 1994

PREFONTAINE -1997

WITHOUT LIMITS - 1998

CAPOTE - 2005

INFAMOUS - 2006

Those are just a few examples. I know I left out others. Feel free to add what I missed.

War films are not applicable unless they are based on the same specific event(s).

I am currently researching a story that i'd like to write a script for. But to my chagrin, a someone else has already begun production on the same true story. It is currently being made for theatrical release. My interest began before I learned there already was a script in the works. When I found out, I was a bit discouraged. I will not say what the story is. It's irrelevant.

I quickly recalled the above examples, which gave me a little bit of comfort. But I do realize the odds are highly stacked against me. Hell, even if there wasn't another script out there, the odds would still be against me. I know this.

But it is amazing that this phenomenon does occur...2 different films based on the same story that are released a mere year apart. It is mind-boggling in fact. That people will still invest millions in the SECOND film.

Obviosuly, the same story can be told in a million different ways. And from what i know, this is the case in what I am researching. There are different perspectives and different elements of the story that can be tackled here. It seems as though what I am focusing on isn't quite the same as the film currently being made. Although Im not entirely sure.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Keneu Luca

• Premium Member
It seems as though what I am focusing on isn't quite the same as the film currently being made.

That is what can keep you going I think.

I was driving down a big city street last week and went by a place at which I have seen a fair amount

of misdemeanor activity. I thought that it was time for a film on the subject (I've never heard of one) and I thought of the title. That night on a talk radio station I heard a guy interviewed who had made such a film, with the same title (well one letter off, his is plural and has an extra "s".) They had a premiere Wednesday night.

I would say be glad that you don't know anything about this other film except that it's in the works. Do your take on it

I think that this can be a frustrating situation and that the lesson is do something or somebody else will.

TOMBSTONE - 1993

WYATT EARP - 1994

PREFONTAINE -1997

WITHOUT LIMITS - 1998

CAPOTE - 2005

INFAMOUS - 2006

Those are just a few examples. I know I left out others. Feel free to add what I missed.

War films are not applicable unless they are based on the same specific event(s).

I am currently researching a story that i'd like to write a script for. But to my chagrin, a someone else has already begun production on the same true story. It is currently being made for theatrical release. My interest began before I learned there already was a script in the works. When I found out, I was a bit discouraged. I will not say what the story is. It's irrelevant.

I quickly recalled the above examples, which gave me a little bit of comfort. But I do realize the odds are highly stacked against me. Hell, even if there wasn't another script out there, the odds would still be against me. I know this.

But it is amazing that this phenomenon does occur...2 different films based on the same story that are released a mere year apart. It is mind-boggling in fact. That people will still invest millions in the SECOND film.

Obviosuly, the same story can be told in a million different ways. And from what i know, this is the case in what I am researching. There are different perspectives and different elements of the story that can be tackled here. It seems as though what I am focusing on isn't quite the same as the film currently being made. Although Im not entirely sure.

Any thoughts on this?

as far as coincidences are concerned, you might be interested to know the rubik's cube was invented simultaneously in two different parts of the world unknown to each other.

• Premium Member

There were two Christopher Columbus movies in production at the same time (the Salkind movie and Ridley Scott's 1492) and two Dalai Lama movies (Seven Years in Tibet and Kundun). I'm not sure any of them were successful though at the box office.

Universal and Paramount both raced to remake King Kong in the 1970's...

"Armageddon" and "Deep Impact" were another duo I can think of (though I think the latter may've been in the previous calendar year; former was '98.

Though not the same subject, "World Trade Center" and "United 93" were both 2006. Probably had something to do with the 5-year anniversary of the event.

And, let's not forget all of the "end of the world" movies that are coming out this year. This probably has something to do with the 2008 economic downturn, which, to someone making their money in the film industry, can seem like the end of the world.

Edited by Karl Borowski

"Armageddon" and "Deep Impact" were another duo I can think of (though I think the latter may've been in the previous calendar year; former was '98.

Though not the same subject, "World Trade Center" and "United 93" were both 2006. Probably had something to do with the 5-year anniversary of the event.

And, let's not forget all of the "end of the world" movies that are coming out this year. This probably has something to do with the 2008 economic downturn, which, to someone making their money in the film industry, can seem like the end of the world.

I appreciate everyones responses.

Very good additions from everyone. The 9/11 films arent quite the same, like you said. But Im sure it still caused concern for both parties involved. And I forgot about the Columbus films, although I've never seen either.

I also just remembered, while they were not theatrically released, there were 3, count em THREE! made -for-TV films released around the same time about Amy Fisher / Joey Buttafuoco.

I think people sit on screenplays waiting for the right time to gear up production (for myriad reasons) so if someone else pulls the trigger their hand is forced into starting their own production for fear of a wasted option (excuse the mixed metaphor).

The genesis of a concept can come about from a kinda global wide collective consciousness also - a technical example is the amount of people turning up here to show off their 'crazy new HDR/moco/image stabilization idea'

Edited by Chris Millar

• Premium Member
There were two Christopher Columbus movies in production at the same time (the Salkind movie and Ridley Scott's 1492) and two Dalai Lama movies (Seven Years in Tibet and Kundun). I'm not sure any of them were successful though at the box office.

Universal and Paramount both raced to remake King Kong in the 1970's...

Similarly with Alexander the Great... Oliver Stone's film got made and Baz Luhrman's didn't.