ps techicks 15sr digital mag

Juan Pablo Ramirez

• Premium Member

As far as I know it's not out just yet? Not sure if they have any test footage, I havn't seen any on the website, yet.

I think it's worth the investment as I get to use my SR3 with good lenses and shoot video... as opposed to pulling out the EX1.. 'course that's just me and your mileage will vary.

We are talking about this??

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-16sr-magazine.php

says 2010 for release date.

I like the idea, not biased because i bought a S16 sr2 not long ago....

I'm glad that it will be compatible with all the SR models. The website says the sensor size is "close to N16" does this mean bigger or smaller???

i imagine if it was just the regular 16 area alot of SR1s and 2 that are R16 will suddenly be a bit more saught after, and maybe rental companies will be more interested in investing in a mag or two.

i suppose at the end of the day everything will depend on the price of the digital mag and the quality of the picture it attains.

There was also another thread somewhere about a digital mag for the XTR, it was mentioned that all the film mechanism parts of the camera body that wouldn't be needed for the digi magazine to be working but would still be constantly working whenever the camera was on so would add more wear and tear, I don't know much about this really, i guess not having tension from the film moving through the camera and the possibly faster speed used for shooting digital stuff could be a problem???

I like the idea though, especially if it was something i could rent out to shoot digital rather than having to own a digital camera that will just go out of date, it would definitely make me consider investing in some good glass myself in the future instead of just my lonely zoom lens. Also would mean i could use all the accessories i already use on the SR.

In a sort of unrelated note i watched behind the scenes of "merlin" a british Tv show, and was suprised to see they were shooting on an SR3, made me feel a little bit of happiness.

Hi , I went to IBC, and here is a rundown of the sr digital mag, not out yet, just a mock up was shown.

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/e1236e8...4/video/6529096

go to this link.

Victor

We are talking about this??

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-16sr-magazine.php

says 2010 for release date.

I like the idea, not biased because i bought a S16 sr2 not long ago....

I'm glad that it will be compatible with all the SR models. The website says the sensor size is "close to N16" does this mean bigger or smaller???

i imagine if it was just the regular 16 area alot of SR1s and 2 that are R16 will suddenly be a bit more saught after, and maybe rental companies will be more interested in investing in a mag or two.

i suppose at the end of the day everything will depend on the price of the digital mag and the quality of the picture it attains.

There was also another thread somewhere about a digital mag for the XTR, it was mentioned that all the film mechanism parts of the camera body that wouldn't be needed for the digi magazine to be working but would still be constantly working whenever the camera was on so would add more wear and tear, I don't know much about this really, i guess not having tension from the film moving through the camera and the possibly faster speed used for shooting digital stuff could be a problem???

I like the idea though, especially if it was something i could rent out to shoot digital rather than having to own a digital camera that will just go out of date, it would definitely make me consider investing in some good glass myself in the future instead of just my lonely zoom lens. Also would mean i could use all the accessories i already use on the SR.

In a sort of unrelated note i watched behind the scenes of "merlin" a british Tv show, and was suprised to see they were shooting on an SR3, made me feel a little bit of happiness.

Hi , I went to IBC, and here is a rundown of the sr digital mag, not out yet, just a mock up was shown.

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/e1236e8...4/video/6529096

go to this link.

Victor

Thanks for that link.

I'm not sure if i understood, was it suggested it requires a modification to the gate making it a permanantly digital camera??

Yes you have to take the existing gate out, and put p&s gate in. If you want to go back to film, you have to reverse the process.

victor

Thanks for that link.

I'm not sure if i understood, was it suggested it requires a modification to the gate making it a permanantly digital camera??

Yes you have to take the existing gate out, and put p&s gate in. If you want to go back to film, you have to reverse the process.

victor

Wow. That is depressing. I was gonna start clamoring for an Aaton LTR / XTR digi mag until I read that.

I wonder if Joe Dunton will release his version of the Arri SR mag (to compete with P+S Technik), which as I understand, it does not need a gate change.

• Premium Member
any word on why the gate change?

I have no inside information on this, but I would suspect that the gate change was so the digital mag has a mating surface that can hold the mag in tight tolerance. I would also expect the replacement gate to have some sort of covers so the pulldown claw and the registration pin are encapsulated, and not moving around inside part of the digital mag.

Just my thoughts.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Makes some sense, though you'd think that the tolorances could be handled with a "pressure plate" for the sensor? much like film.

I had thought of the pulldown claw/pin issue too; but why not just build a nibblet and not make me remove my gate (unless the new gate lets me shoot film as well...)

Ahh alas, that film must sometimes be a slave to physics :/ Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

• Premium Member

Ahh yes, the OLPF, forgot 'bout that one :/

sometimes I wish I had an engineering degree so as to make up the Adrian Sierkowski Digi Mag.. 1millionK resolution @ 5:5:5 color in BGR as well! And works on ALL cameras stock... ahh a guy can dream.

NO change, John, in your opinion for an OLPF which wouldn't require a gate change? Perhaps something that mounts behind the lens or the like? just curious incase I ever find a really cheap S16mm mag camera and enough free time to learn how to solder.

• Premium Member
My guess is that they need room for an optical low pass filter in front of the focal plane.

-- J.S.

Been a while since I rebuilt an SR and I no longer own one so I can't measure for myself right now. But my concern would be how close the back of the mirror shutter comes to the film plane. I wonder if there is enough room between the back of the mirror shutter and the focal plane (keeping the FFD at 52mm so you don't have to re-collimate all your lenses) to fit a Optical Low Pass Filter in there.

It'll be interesting to see how P+S handles the whole thing.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

What might be easiest to do would be some sort of prism where the film plane would be to re-direct the light through an OLPF and then onto the sensor, refocusing it as necessary. certainly sounds possible in my head....(not that that means a thing really, but in theory, just take the light from where the film would be, put it through an OLPF behind the film plane and refocus it through a good internal lens on the sensor.)

Hey guys, What was explained to me was that to make it simple and least amount of work, they had to make the sensor the size that would fit the 16/s16 gate, so no oversize mysterium type sensor because that would require a relay lens, and all knids of complications. The sensor is scaled to the gate, so there is really nothing at the mag, but a filter, and the change of gate makes the mating with the sensor simple and foolproof. KISS is the key work here, if you think about it, it is already costing 30,000 euro's, if you add relays and large sensors,it would cost 60,000 euro's.....there are limitations with the smaller size sensor, but you get you use your arri glass you already own, and can record 2k raw files, so you get what you pay for, ever check out what new glass cost these days, or even used zeiss superspeeds.....pop in the mag you are good to go, otherwise get a red one, and a new set of cooke s4's will set you back 120K...it is what it is, no more no less.

Victor

What might be easiest to do would be some sort of prism where the film plane would be to re-direct the light through an OLPF and then onto the sensor, refocusing it as necessary. certainly sounds possible in my head....(not that that means a thing really, but in theory, just take the light from where the film would be, put it through an OLPF behind the film plane and refocus it through a good internal lens on the sensor.)

• Premium Member
I wonder if there is enough room between the back of the mirror shutter and the focal plane (keeping the FFD at 52mm so you don't have to re-collimate all your lenses) to fit a Optical Low Pass Filter in there.

I would think you could design an OLPF in as little as, say, 0.2mm. It would be harder to do than having a nice 6-8 mm to play around in, so it would cost a little more. Whatever the thickness of the aperture plate is, you certainly have that much room available. That's gotta be more than 0.2mm, no?

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I would think you could design an OLPF in as little as, say, 0.2mm. It would be harder to do than having a nice 6-8 mm to play around in, so it would cost a little more. Whatever the thickness of the aperture plate is, you certainly have that much room available. That's gotta be more than 0.2mm, no?

-- J.S.

John,

Yeah, I would think you'd have 0.2mm to play with, but certainly not 6-8mm.

Best,

-Tim