Rex-1 and Rex-5

Bryce Lansing

I have a Bolex Rex-1, and I've run film through it, transfered, and I'm very pleased with the results. No problems.

I really want to convert it to Super-16 and have a 14x ViewFinder put in, but I was wondering if there was any other mechanical reason to get a Rex-5 and convert that instead.

For instance, Is a Rex-1 converted to Super16 with a 14x VF, and a Rex-5 converted to Super16 with a 14x VF any different from each other? Other than the fact that the Rex-5 can take magazines?

Hi Bryce,

The main thing your RX-1 won't have is the 1:1 shaft found only on RX-4 and RX-5. Necessary for using some types of electric motors.

You can't really modify a 6x to turn it into a 14x. You need a complete new viewfinder assembly.

The only place I know that seems to offer a new 14x replacement viewfinder is JK Camera.

I remember they used to have a picture of it on their website but then took it down about a year ago.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

I have a Bolex Rex-1, and I've run film through it, transfered, and I'm very pleased with the results. No problems.

I really want to convert it to Super-16 and have a 14x ViewFinder put in, but I was wondering if there was any other mechanical reason to get a Rex-5 and convert that instead.

For instance, Is a Rex-1 converted to Super16 with a 14x VF, and a Rex-5 converted to Super16 with a 14x VF any different from each other? Other than the fact that the Rex-5 can take magazines?

I just mailed out my rex4 to bernie this week. He told me that he was converting bolexs to ultra 16 more than Super 16. email him at bernie@super16inc.com.

There may be a few other differences (in addition to the 1:1 drive shaft).

A rex 5 has a spool ejector leaver inside the film compartment to make it easier to get spools out. Does your Rex 1?

The Rex 5 has a different type of filter slide that allows the filter to be pulled out of the light path, without it having to be fully removed and a dummy filter holder put in.

I assume your Rex has a variable shutter. I am not sure if all early Rex cameras do, but certainly a Rex 5 does.

You may not need any of these features if they are missing from your camera, so don't worry about them if they don't matter.

However, you might consider the cost of the conversion of your rex1 compared to buying a Rex5 and converting that. The conversion will probably cost more than the camera alone so the extra cost is less than 50% of the project. That said, if it ain't necessary, don't do it. Bear in mind though that you could get a Rex 5 with either a 10x or 13x viewfinder and not need to get the 14x viewfinder modification at all. I have an SB with a 10x and an SBM with a 13x and personally I don't fuss about the difference ... but definitely the 6x is too small.

good luck with it,

richard

If you're going to put all that money into a conversion you may as well go with a newer camera with all its bells and whistles.

Even it its just for considering eventual resale on ebay...

Proportionally more of the earlier bolexes in super16 have been home conversions.

There may be a few other differences (in addition to the 1:1 drive shaft).

A rex 5 has a spool ejector leaver inside the film compartment to make it easier to get spools out. Does your Rex 1?

The Rex 5 has a different type of filter slide that allows the filter to be pulled out of the light path, without it having to be fully removed and a dummy filter holder put in.

I assume your Rex has a variable shutter. I am not sure if all early Rex cameras do, but certainly a Rex 5 does.

You may not need any of these features if they are missing from your camera, so don't worry about them if they don't matter.

However, you might consider the cost of the conversion of your rex1 compared to buying a Rex5 and converting that. The conversion will probably cost more than the camera alone so the extra cost is less than 50% of the project. That said, if it ain't necessary, don't do it. Bear in mind though that you could get a Rex 5 with either a 10x or 13x viewfinder and not need to get the 14x viewfinder modification at all. I have an SB with a 10x and an SBM with a 13x and personally I don't fuss about the difference ... but definitely the 6x is too small.

good luck with it,

richard

It's got a variable shutter and has the spool ejector as well (although a friend told me that was an extra that may have been added). To be honest, it could be a Rex-2 or Rex-3, I'm just basing it off the fact that it has a 6x Viewfinder, so I'm assuming its a Rex-1.

I've been looking at Rex-5s on ebay, but so far I haven't been able to find one.

If you are going to but specifically for a conversion get a bayonet model - SB, SBM, EBM, EL ...

Much easier to convert... I've done my own home conversions which I've compared myself and had compared by a bolex tech with a proper swiss conversion and got a pass grade - you can do it too ;)

If you are going to but specifically for a conversion get a bayonet model - SB, SBM, EBM, EL ...

Much easier to convert... I've done my own home conversions which I've compared myself and had compared by a bolex tech with a proper swiss conversion and got a pass grade - you can do it too ;)

Really?? How do you know the steps to converting it yourself? My dad is a machinist, so he might be able to do it for me if I can find the steps for him. What about the groundglass? Do you have to replace the entire prism with GG on top? Or is there a way to replace just the GG?

You dont replace the GG - just the mask on top of it ;)

As for details I followed the instructions here:

http://www.sci.fi/~animato/s16/s16.html

In the process I found there were some much easier ways around things than the methods he outlines but the gist is all there.

As you'll see he goes into some trouble showing the different methods of converting a turret model - with the bayonet models you just have to nut it out yourself, but as I mentioned - much easier ...