Appropriate Head for a Red

Andy_Alderslade

Hi, a broadcast company which mainly rents ENG/prosumer gear like DSRs and EX1/Ex3s has asked my opinion of what type of head will rent appropriately with a RED one camera. They've been previously cautious about getting into Red, but there is so much demand from their clients that it has to be a serious consideration.

Bearing in mind that they will be renting to the lower-budget market, so want something which is not overkill, perhaps low thrills, but is capable of doing the job. They have an excellent reputation for sending out immaculate kit, so don't want to get into the dubious business of sending out cheap kit that can't handle the job.

This has made me think a little.

On the vast majority of shoots i've been on its always been an O'Connor heads, which are always perfect for the job, but I worry are a bit to 'full-on' for them to dry hire.

At the other end dodgy Red rental firms have sent them out with F4's which are just not capable for the job.

Even Satchler seems to have acquired a dirty name by rental firms sending out versions of their heads and tripods which are too light-weight to handle a Red camera.

Anyway let me know what you all think,

Cheers, Andy

It really depends on the accessories and lenses. If you are using anamorphic you're going to need a bigger tripod, we used a 2575 for that set. The last shoot I was on we had a set of superspeeds and was fine with a bogen 516, we even had the double battery pack on the back. For ENG with a mid-sized zoom I'd recommend a lighter o'connor or sachtler cause you're gonna be more front heavy.

• Premium Member

Hi Andy,

I'm assuming that the rental company is based in the UK,in which case I'd seriously have a look at the Ronford Baker heads.

Their Atlas head is IMHO superior to the O'Connor 2575,although perhaps overkill for the Red,but they do other heads which would be

very suitable.

Their service and support is superb,an important consideration for a rental company.

I'm in no way associated with them,just a very satisfied customer.

Tom.

Thanks everyone, great information. I kinda thought it would be around the higher ENG tripods or moderate range film heads - especially as their clients will probably be limited to modest set-ups like primes and small zooms, with no extra accessories.

Cheers,

Andy

• Premium Member
I think a Sachtler 7/7 is a good tripod for a Red. The O'Connor 2060 is very nice and appropriate for a Red as well. In my opinion any tripod suitable for a serious super16 rig is appropriate.

I think either of these heads is a great choice. I generally prefer an O'Connor 2575 but I agree that is probably overkill with a simplified camera.

If you're renting this stuff out for ENG Features for like ESPN or NBC ect then a 2575 is wayy overkill. You need a light run and gun style tripod that can get your camera man up and running possibly w/o an assistant quickly.

• Premium Member
If you're renting this stuff out for ENG Features for like ESPN or NBC ect then a 2575 is wayy overkill. You need a light run and gun style tripod that can get your camera man up and running possibly w/o an assistant quickly.

In the case of that kind of work, a RED is way overkill, too. ;)

We are not using the RED, but we've been using the new O'Connor 120EXe Encoding Heavy Duty head on The Good Wife for our B and C cameras. We haven't used the Mo-Sys feature, but the operators (and ACs) have all given it complete rave reviews, just as a head itself. It might be a bit overkill if you're appealing to the lower-end of the RED market, but is, apparently, a joy to use.

I found a pretty informative article about it here:

http://news.creativecow.net/story/862044

-DW

Edited by Daniel Wallens

In the case of that kind of work, a RED is way overkill, too. ;)

Yes but these things happen for some reason. Even though even the studios prefer having the tape based camera apparently someone who's not the operator nor the studio wants this to happen.