SonyDigiBeta VERSUS PanaSDX900

ricardo de gracia

what would you say is better choice for a TV docu series similar to typical discoverychannel docs? or TV series Dog Whisperer?

* no chances for hi postproduction or color correction

* no filtering on camera...

wich one is more sensitive? better quality? best latitude in hard light situations? noise...?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

The DigiBeta is a tape format used by range of cameras, so it'll depend on which model you're going to shoot on. The cameras I've used on this format have a "cleaner" look than the SDX900, which has a different feel.

The SDX 900 has a selection of gamma setting as do the later Digibeta Cameras, so much will depend on which setting you select to use.

DigiBeta is 10 bit compared to the 8 bit on the SDX900. If you wish to shoot progressive the SDX900 can do that while you need the DVW970 for DigiBeta.

Basically, both cameras will do the job and Digibeta has been used for years without high end post production or colour correction. Although, if you wish to create an interesting look in camera the SDX900 could be the way.

Also, talk to your post house which works best for them, they may have to hire in rather than use an in house VTR.

• 2 weeks later...
The DigiBeta is a tape format used by range of cameras, so it'll depend on which model you're going to shoot on. The cameras I've used on this format have a "cleaner" look than the SDX900, which has a different feel.

The SDX 900 has a selection of gamma setting as do the later Digibeta Cameras, so much will depend on which setting you select to use.

DigiBeta is 10 bit compared to the 8 bit on the SDX900. If you wish to shoot progressive the SDX900 can do that while you need the DVW970 for DigiBeta.

Basically, both cameras will do the job and Digibeta has been used for years without high end post production or colour correction. Although, if you wish to create an interesting look in camera the SDX900 could be the way.

Also, talk to your post house which works best for them, they may have to hire in rather than use an in house VTR.

unless you are getting a special discount or otherwise, is the cost of shooting digibeta that much cheaper than HD? if it is for your situation, then shoot on digibeta, it being 10 bit makes a difference, especially if it is to be uprezzed later on to HD.

unless you are getting a special discount or otherwise, is the cost of shooting digibeta that much cheaper than HD?

I guess that would depend on which HD camera you plan to use. Certainly much cheaper than shooting with HDCAM cameras, not if you're going EX1/3 I suspect.