Framing Chart for Super16

Andy Karkut

Quick question:

Doing camera tests tomorrow morning --

Do I need to shoot a framing chart at the head of the roll even if I am NOT intending to telecine?

Shooting s16 on Arri3. Will only make workprint for projection.

Thank you!

Makes a lot of sense to do it, even for projection.

I don't know where you actually are going to view/screen it and how that projector is equipped (is it a professionally converted s16 gate? Or just a quick hack?). Sometimes the gate will be off, and you can see that immediately with a proper framing chart.

I've also included a scale with my framing chart, going from each edge of the frameline to the inside, counting from 1 upwards. Like that you can also see how far you actually are off, in case the framing lines are not visible at all in projection.

A framing chart also makes sense for the shoot, because it gives you a reference as to how the ground glass is set up. In case it is off (relative to the standard), you still have your framing chart that you can use to frame for optical blowup or DI.

So I'd do it once for the shoot (for each camera), I see no real benefit of doing it on each roll.

It only takes a few feet of film, so no real cost here, even in case you don't need it later.

Greetings,

Marc

Edited by Marc Roessler