EX1/EX3 new Tiffen filter for color issues

Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member

A discussion this week led me to some research which led me to some really good info.

on the Abel Cine Tech website about this problem, quoting here from Abel website

"A complaint often expressed by Sony EX1/EX3 owners is the infrared or far red contamination frequently seen on dark fabrics. Sony’s EXMOR sensors are designed to see a huge amount of color, or what Sony calls “broad spectrum colors.” This is a great thing, because these Sony cameras can capture more color than ever in a digital image. The negative effect of this, however, is that they’re also able to see some red colors that our eyes cannot see. This shows up particularly in dark fabrics, where the red contamination turns greens into muddy brown and some blacks will turn magenta…not a good thing. Up until now there was not much you could do about it, but thankfully Tiffen came up with a solution. They have created the T1 IR filter, which is designed to reduce this contamination but still maintain the wide range of colors. I’ve done some tests to compare an EX1 camera with and without the filter, and the difference is quite obvious. In short if you are an EX1 or EX3 owner, the T1 IR Filter is a must have. Keep reading to see comparisons and how the new EX1R and PMW-350 perform"

There is a pretty cool series of stills showing images with and without Tiffen filter at this page http://blog.abelcine.com/2009/10/29/tiffen...the-ex-cameras/

Also, there are some good informative videos on there. I watched the one on white shading.

When I was a kid, there was no internet. I am

amazed every day by how much info. I can find on stuff. We had no internet, just a net with which to catch (we hoped) wild encyclopedias.

• Premium Member

Ha i remember the encyclopedias at the supermarket...

Honestly, while I know the CMOS sensors as a bit partial to IR (Red camera had the same issues) I can't say I ever noticed IR pollution on my own EX1. Though I did turn everything purple once by messing way too much with the picture profiles....

• Premium Member
Ha i remember the encyclopedias at the supermarket...

Honestly, while I know the CMOS sensors as a bit partial to IR (Red camera had the same issues) I can't say I ever noticed IR pollution on my own EX1. Though I did turn everything purple once by messing way too much with the picture profiles....

What struck me about the example shown is how much the blacks improved in one of the shots. Have you noticed them being affected?

• Premium Member

Can't say I have normally under normal situations. It'll only really get bad when dropping a lot of ND in front of the lens, which would cut down the visible light but not on IR. Also, I don't mind having slightly milkier blacks in camera which I can crush later on in post if I want to or leave opened up for bit more detail... or I could do it in camera by bringing down the black gamma.

• Premium Member
Can't say I have normally under normal situations. It'll only really get bad when dropping a lot of ND in front of the lens, which would cut down the visible light but not on IR. Also, I don't mind having slightly milkier blacks in camera which I can crush later on in post if I want to or leave opened up for bit more detail... or I could do it in camera by bringing down the black gamma.

That's good to hear then. I like the EX-1s. One time on a shoot a guy stole my pizza and I threw the EX-1 at him and it smashed

by his feet and scared him and I totally got my pizza back.