Which slow film stock to use?

Raz Birger

Hello.

I am going to shoot a very short clip on 16mm film which will be transferred by a Spirit 2K machine to SD.

For outdoor shooting I plan to use the 7201 Vision2 50D. For indoor I am not sure yet, but I know that I want to stay with slow stocks.

The Indoor scene is in a dark office. I want an old look and I don't mean old by grainy, but by the use of slower film stock and lighting it. I am sure you guys watched Hitchcock's Rear Window - I want the look like when Jeff (James Stewart) watch his neighbors in the dark room trough his binoculars.

I have 4 500W Halogen lamps and my lens is the Meteor 17-69 1.9 (I am shooting with Krasnogorsk-3). Would I be able to shoot with 50D? or should I use some higher speed stock like the 7212 Vision2 100T (which is also tungsten balanced)?

Best Regards,

Raz Birger.

• Premium Member
I have 4 500W Halogen lamps and my lens is the Meteor 17-69 1.9 (I am shooting with Krasnogorsk-3). Would I be able to shoot with 50D? or should I use some higher speed stock like the 7212 Vision2 100T (which is also tungsten balanced)?

Shooting on a Tungsten stock lets you get rid of the 85 filter, which will make shooting in a relatively dim space easier.

The faster the film, the more you can spread around your light, unless you want all the shadows to fade out, with the background in shadow.

I had shot on the 7201 and it is such a sharp and *clean* stock, even for S16. I am shooting additional footage to cut with the 7201, and have been advised to use the 7212 because it cuts well with it. I will be shooting on this stock in a couple of days, and will report back on the results right here.

• Premium Member
Shooting on a Tungsten stock lets you get rid of the 85 filter, which will make shooting in a relatively dim space easier.

You mean the blue 80A filter...

Yes, if you have a tungsten lighting package, then you should look at 100T or 200T stock.

Yes I do, The reference to the 85 was a "thinko" :rolleyes: . The situation is backwards to what would need an 85, and I seem to vaguely recall that the 80A has even a worse filter factor than the 85.

Yeah, an 80A is 2 stops, 85 is 2/3 a stop