416 info

• Premium Member

I'm starting a feature doc with a pair of 416s. I've never worked with them before. Is there anything peculiar I should know about them that a manual won't tell me? For example, no manual will tell you that panavision's elaine goes through fuses like tic-tacs, but it's quite important.

- Don't know where you're shooting, but the new split-bridge plate tends to jam up and won't split apart in cold weather. I had to take the camera off the head from the quick-release, set it in my lap, and wiggle the split bridge apart in cold temperatures (~+5-0C). Kind of a PITA... don't know if this is a common problem, or unique to my bridge plate. The mags also get sticky and it's hard to slide them in and out when it's cold.

- Keep an eye on the rails on the inside of the body that guide the mag to the gate. They tend to collect small metal filings.

Other then that it's a GREAT camera, ridiculously easy to use and load.

• Premium Member
- Don't know where you're shooting, but the new split-bridge plate tends to jam up and won't split apart in cold weather. I had to take the camera off the head from the quick-release, set it in my lap, and wiggle the split bridge apart in cold temperatures (~+5-0C). Kind of a PITA... don't know if this is a common problem, or unique to my bridge plate. The mags also get sticky and it's hard to slide them in and out when it's cold.

- Keep an eye on the rails on the inside of the body that guide the mag to the gate. They tend to collect small metal filings.

Thanks for the heads up on those issues. I'll be in New England for the next couple weeks so low temperatures are a distinct possibility.

Other then that it's a GREAT camera, ridiculously easy to use and load.

I do love arri for the ease of use!

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member

Amen to the Arri ease of use. I had recalled when testing a 416 a strange scratching on 2 of 3 mags. dunno what it was, but def give a good scratch test. it was from a good rental house, dunno what the prob was exactly, but yeah, just a heads up.

• Premium Member
Amen to the Arri ease of use. I had recalled when testing a 416 a strange scratching on 2 of 3 mags. dunno what it was, but def give a good scratch test. it was from a good rental house, dunno what the prob was exactly, but yeah, just a heads up.

I'll keep a good eye out. We're renting straight from arri CSC so it should all be in good shape, but then again you said yours was from a good rental house, too.

I'll keep a good eye out. We're renting straight from arri CSC so it should all be in good shape, but then again you said yours was from a good rental house, too.

Hey Chris yeah if you know all of the Arri camera IE..ArriSR then it's about the same but a few different things other then that you know Arri won't give you that many issues. You right about Pana-v their fuses go out really fast for some reason. But I say prep every camera the same even if you are going to a good and well respected rental house like CSC in NY or Panavision here in Orlando, FL.

The platter on the take-up side is very small, and it's edges, unlike the rounded-off plastic of most other Arris or Panavision, is a sharp metal. Make sure to wind several turns on the take-up side after loading to make sure it is taking up evenly, because if it is dishing at all, it can be extremely dusty, from the edges of the platter scraping off bits of emulsion.

Check the seal with the lids too, on the mags. They are not permanently hinged like SRs or Aatons, they are designed like Arri II/III lids, with the locating pins that you need to insert, and then flip down. I would tape around the seams, like you do with Arri II/III mags, just for safety. The lids have a surprising amount of play in them when force is exerted on them- not a bad idea to tape the seams, or just wrap it with a piece of tape.

• Premium Member
The platter on the take-up side is very small, and it's edges, unlike the rounded-off plastic of most other Arris or Panavision, is a sharp metal. Make sure to wind several turns on the take-up side after loading to make sure it is taking up evenly, because if it is dishing at all, it can be extremely dusty, from the edges of the platter scraping off bits of emulsion.

Check the seal with the lids too, on the mags. They are not permanently hinged like SRs or Aatons, they are designed like Arri II/III lids, with the locating pins that you need to insert, and then flip down. I would tape around the seams, like you do with Arri II/III mags, just for safety. The lids have a surprising amount of play in them when force is exerted on them- not a bad idea to tape the seams, or just wrap it with a piece of tape.

I'm leaving in a few hours. Huzzah for a redeye flight followed by prep tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up on this stuff. I do tend to prep the same everywhere and on every camera, but I'll give extra care if I know there are issues or peculiarities.

Thanks for the info, guys. We've finished prep. I did have to reject a couple of mags for scratches, no other issues. They really are beautiful little cameras.

That is very good to hear Chris, have fun on the job :) and let us know how it goes

• 1 month later...

Did a feature with this thing/worked at csc for a couple years. Instead of taping the whole seem of the mag, just "pinch" at the top of the door from latch to latch.

Get plenty of extension blocks for the handle for more real estate (with OB monitor, transmitter, lens light, cinetape the camera fills up fast!)

do yourself a favor and go 15mm with the lightweight follow focus, that way you can always use the breakaway plate to go handheld.

if you use the arri zoom control you can cable from that to the lcs port, then straight out to the body with the motor! no more y-cable! (a lot of csc preps don't know this though, i discovered it by bored curiosity.)

Use the loop guards! the pressure plate is ON THE MAG! also blow out the camera like crazy with every change, and instruct your loader to treat every mag like its the camera gate.

use the 4pin ports on the video tap, pwr+video in one!

good luck, I work with this camera all the time, email me with any questions!

"Use the loop guards! the pressure plate is ON THE MAG! also blow out the camera like crazy with every change, and instruct your loader to treat every mag like its the camera gate."

//

James, in regards to your suggestion to blow out the camera like crazy every change, do you find the camera runs dustier/dirtier than other cameras?