Arri IIc battery pin

GeorgeSelinsky

Hi folks,

Well, here it goes again, my Arri IIc's variable speed motor pin has once again broken off.

Arri-problem.jpg

There you can see my fingers holding that fragile brass pin. Same thing happened with the older motor. Last time, Visual Products had to replace my motor, because otherwise they would have had to fab a new brass pin on a mill as no spare parts are available.

I've really grown impatient with this problem, it's not like I'm forcing the battery cable or anything like that. I am greatly tempted to tap into that motor and re-do the power connector to a better standard that is solid and won't cause this problem. Anyone have any recommendations? I am considering the 3 pin XLR.

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

I have the 35 3C crystal handgrip motor which has the 4 pin XLR connector and touch wood I have not had any problems. It plugs straight into a cinepower battery belt or battery pack and has no exposed bits

I would recommend plugging straight in with a standard xlr but I am not an expert about it - the best contact I know in either UK or LA is Joel M at Otto Nemenz (35mm cam dept) not the Joel in sales.

He knows more about the 2C than anyone I know and is very friendly (as is everyone at Otto N) but getting him on the phone can be a bit of a mission

Not sure if this helps

thanks

R

Guest Sean McVeigh

Wow, You seem to own the 2C with some sort of curse from hell cast over it :)

I've recently had my V/S motor apart and back together. I busted a wire off of the rheostat in the process.. so be careful, they are not fun to resolder since they are all epoxied in there (or at least mine was).

Don't the v/s motors crop up on ebay for $100 or so every now and then?

Otherwise, I'd buy yourself a 4-pin male XLR connector and mount it wherever you can on that motor. It'll be a hack-job, but it'll work. Also, keep in mind that one of those 2 pins is tied to the motor chassis, can't remember which one though, so you may be able to just tap a new hole and drop a screw in place on the motor chassis.

I'm equally terrified of that damn 2-pin connector.

-Sean