Shooting a Magic Hour film

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums, so still feeling my way around the whole "forum" process.

Ok, so I have a shoot coming up, and the script calls for a scene in a car during "dawn" / "magic hour feel" for practically the entire piece. Its intended to be contrasty, natural light. So I have a few questions that fall under a few different areas.

1) I'm shooting on 7205 Vision 2 250D, any suggestions for extending the "magic hour" feel throughout the piece with this stock? Would a filter of some sort be worthwhile to consider to maintain or correct for early morning color temperature variances?

2) I won't be able to shoot tests, any recommendations on how I could maintain a nice, solid contrast ratio, say something like 3:1, or 4:1 Shadow to light?

3) Any recommendations on ancillary lighting approaches to heighten this feel?

All responses most appreciated.

-Aaron

You can make it real easy and keep the Magic Hour lasting as long as you want if you shoot at a location where the sun does not reach an altitude of 10 degrees.

In Los Angeles, California, at an hour after sunrise or an hour before sunset, the Sun has an altitude of about 10°–12°.[3] For a location closer to the equator, the altitude is greater (or the time less), and for a location farther from the equator, the altitude is less (or the time greater). For a location sufficiently far from the equator, the Sun may not reach an altitude of 10°, and the Magic hour lasts for the entire day if the Sun indeed rises.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums, so still feeling my way around the whole "forum" process.

Ok, so I have a shoot coming up, and the script calls for a scene in a car during "dawn" / "magic hour feel" for practically the entire piece. Its intended to be contrasty, natural light. So I have a few questions that fall under a few different areas.

1) I'm shooting on 7205 Vision 2 250D, any suggestions for extending the "magic hour" feel throughout the piece with this stock? Would a filter of some sort be worthwhile to consider to maintain or correct for early morning color temperature variances?

2) I won't be able to shoot tests, any recommendations on how I could maintain a nice, solid contrast ratio, say something like 3:1, or 4:1 Shadow to light?

3) Any recommendations on ancillary lighting approaches to heighten this feel?

All responses most appreciated.

-Aaron

Wow... I have been thinking about shooting the same kind of film for a while. Remember, the sun sets one minute earlier each day after June 21( summer solstice) and 1 minute later each day after December 21(winter solstice). Go out with a still camera and shoot cheap test of the angle of the sun in relation to objects like cars and trees. Get a hold of a color temperature meter and measure the color tepmerature- that way you can gel your fill lights to look more believeable.