Kinoptik Viewfinder

Tom Houston

Does anyone have a Kinoptik viewfinder they'd be willing to sell? I have an Angénieux viewfinder that driving me nuts. Maybe there are other vewfinder options that I don't know about?

Thanks!

Do you mind me asking what it is you don't like about it?

I've recently bought an Eclair that came with the Angenieux finder. To be honest I haven't experienced the Kinoptik one to compare it against, but I'm led to believe the Angenieux is a couple of stops brighter, and of course it doesn't suffer the 'rotating' issues of the Kinoptik.

I'm just interested to learn why you don't get on with it?

Do you mind me asking what it is you don't like about it?

I've recently bought an Eclair that came with the Angenieux finder. To be honest I haven't experienced the Kinoptik one to compare it against, but I'm led to believe the Angenieux is a couple of stops brighter, and of course it doesn't suffer the 'rotating' issues of the Kinoptik.

I'm just interested to learn why you don't get on with it?

It just always seems to be moving around when I don't want to to be. When it moves, it changes my perspective between the camera and the subject and that messes with my shots. I really dislike the viewfinder...

It just always seems to be moving around when I don't want to to be. When it moves, it changes my perspective between the camera and the subject and that messes with my shots. I really dislike the viewfinder...

Fair enough.

I haven't used mine in anger yet, although all the movements are firm and it seems to stay where put.

Perhaps it's just a 'wear' issue on your particular finder rather than a failing of the design?

I'm sure I read a post on this forum quite a while ago about someone using a finder off another make of camera on an Eclair. I can't seem to find it now, perhaps I was imagining it? I know people have commented about using an Aaton handgrip on an Eclair, but I'm sure there were comments about finders as well.

Best of luck with your search, sorry I can't help and am just being nosey.

• 3 weeks later...

The other type of finders that fit on the NPR are those off of CP-16 cameras. I have a CP orientable viewfinder with extension and I love it. I'd never go back. The benefit of this system is that you can now comfortably operate behind the camera on a dolly or tripod instead of beside it (which for some shots was a real gymnastic problem!). I believe it is the most expensive option to go for, but in my opinion some of the best money that I have spent on upgrading my camera. the set goes for about $2000 at whitehouse av. I got mine on ebay for a fraction of that. Occasionally they come up and if you have a seller that doesn't know what they have you may get a great deal on it like I did.

NPR%2001.jpg

Fair enough.

I haven't used mine in anger yet, although all the movements are firm and it seems to stay where put.

Perhaps it's just a 'wear' issue on your particular finder rather than a failing of the design?

I'm sure I read a post on this forum quite a while ago about someone using a finder off another make of camera on an Eclair. I can't seem to find it now, perhaps I was imagining it? I know people have commented about using an Aaton handgrip on an Eclair, but I'm sure there were comments about finders as well.

Best of luck with your search, sorry I can't help and am just being nosey.

I should have been more clear, I'm looking for an Elair ACL Kinoptik viewfinder. Not sure the NPR will fit??

Ah, sorry. I hadn't realised you were referring to an ACL, and I didn't make it clear I was referring to the NPR!

I believe an NPR finder won't fit directly onto an ACL, but the eclair16.com website does have a page of instructions on how to modify an NPR finder to fit.

Whoops I thought it was an NPR we were talking about. I have an acl as well but unfortunatly, I only have the angineux for that camera. I have been searching for a kinoptik's viewfinder for the acl as well. I try to track the ACL parts on ebay because some things show up only once in a while. I just saw a camera package on ebay sell with one but I have not seen a viewfinder by itself for sale on ebay since I started checking last year.

I'm sure there are a few out there that aren't with cameras. It will just take some searching.

• 1 month later...
I should have been more clear, I'm looking for an Elair ACL Kinoptik viewfinder. Not sure the NPR will fit??

Hi Tom,

The NPR viewfinders do not fit the ACL. You need to modify them, and then the shooting position is different and makes shoulder-handling uncomfortable.

So your only decent options (in my opinion) is to stick with ACL V-F. The non-orientable early ones are ok if you shoot mostly shoulder-held. The early Angenieux is higher than the non-orientable Kinoptik (rare beast), which was designed after the introduction of the 120m. mag (with those, the camera sits higher on your shoulder, so the V-F needs to be shorter). They also give a smaller image than the later orientable V-Fs.

The orientable Angé should not move so much. Perhaps yours is loose somewhere (I'd offer to look at it, but I am in Europe...). Once set in the right position (which is a bit finicky), it should stay as set fairly consistently.

The Kinoptik orientable model is definitely the best of all: brighter, simpler, but also heavier (certainly compared to the non-orientable ones). It is very hard to find on its own nowadays (and don't forget that you need the camera-side mount that goes with it : it is not the same as the Angénieux model). Your best bet is in fact to buy a camera with one and trade with yours.

P.M. me is you need more info or want me to look at yours.

Boris

• 2 weeks later...

I found a site linked to on the eclair16 site which had lots of parts for the ACL for sale. www.art-medias.com/cond_loc.html . I emailed after seeing the viewfinder on the list but it was very pricey. 654,50 Euro is about $900.

"Yes, I still have viewfinders for ACL2

They are fully orientable viewfinder.

Angenieux (NEW) 935€

Kinoptik (USED) 935 - 30% = 654,50€"

www.art-medias.com/cond_loc.html

• 9 years later...
  • Premium Member

I bought the Kinoptik HC viewfinder today off of Ebay. Can anyone tell me if I need a certain extra mount or anything?

Here's a photo of the viewfinder:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Willem Jansen