Repetative film blurring (or fogging).

Adam Garner

I shot a roll of Tri-X and I'm noticing something buggy. At the end of the roll, maybe the last 20 seconds, the focus goes in and out every couple seconds.

I've never seen this before. I'm shooting on a Canon 1014XL-S that's in great shape. So, I guess that leaves the cart/pressure plate. I hate to bring up such a sensitive subject, but I haven't seen blurring issues like this ever.

Again, the behavior is a cycle of: a) totally normal shot, all in focus for about one second... then 2)blur out for about half a second ... repeat.

I'm projecting this with my Elmo ST1200 which is rock solid as well. I think it's that the cart was acting up during the last several feet of film.

Anyone experience this before? Anything I should be worried about? Please tell me it was a random pressure issue with the cart.

Important to note: I'd had the film in the fridge for a while. I only say this because it SEEMS like when I cold store film the carts end up a little buggy. It's also exhibiting more scratching than normal. It's got white lines on the left side of the frame during a lot of the film. Not horrible, but more than I usually see with Tri-X in my camera.

Sounds like I got a poorly molded cart. Agree?

"I'd had the film in the fridge for a while. I only say this because it SEEMS like when I cold store film the carts end up a little buggy."

After taking the cartridge out of the fridge did you remember to let it warm up to room temperature for a couple of hours before putting it in the camera? And its also a good idea to tap the cartridge a couple of times as well.

After taking the cartridge out of the fridge did you remember to let it warm up to room temperature for a couple of hours before putting it in the camera? And its also a good idea to tap the cartridge a couple of times as well.

I did, Alan. It was warmed up. I didn't tap it, but perhaps it should be a habit after cold storage.

Hi, inspect the film, check for creases on the film, experianced exactly the same, always towards the end of the film. Seems common to a certain lab with me.

Andy, you're right! There are physical bends in the film, not really a hard crease, but it's definitely bent.

I'm curious if that would be more likely to happen in the cart, or during processing...

I'm curious about that lab...