Looking for Cinematographer

Guest Jack Holland

Guest Jack Holland

I'm searching for a DP looking for an opportunity for a step up in their career. Somebody who shoots good stuff but needs to get a solid dramatic feature under their belt, meaning not an action pic.

I'm directing my first feature and I'm looking at a three week schedule, so I need somebody who can handle the DP duties well.

It's my script based on my play. It's a drama about a rebellious young woman who has a nervous breakdown and tries to make peace with her dysfunctional family. One fight scene.

Anybody come to mind? Or anybody know of a good place to find people?

I appreciate any advice.

Jack Holland

P. S. Below is a link to my IMDB profile so you can see a little bit about my background.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0390711/

Guest Jack Holland
Hi Jack,

please do post where you are about or where you want to shoot respectively, that might help!

Cheers, Dave

Whoops, you're right--

I'm in Los Angeles and as of right now we'll be shooting exclusively in Los Angeles County.

Thanks

Guest Pedro Ciampolini

I can help you

PLEASE CHECK MY REEL AT:

www.intheblinkoflove.com

best

Pedro

818 238 7655

I'm searching for a DP looking for an opportunity for a step up in their career. Somebody who shoots good stuff but needs to get a solid dramatic feature under their belt, meaning not an action pic.

I'm directing my first feature and I'm looking at a three week schedule, so I need somebody who can handle the DP duties well.

It's my script based on my play. It's a drama about a rebellious young woman who has a nervous breakdown and tries to make peace with her dysfunctional family. One fight scene.

I appreciate any advice.

Jack Holland

P. S. Below is a link to my IMDB profile so you can see a little bit about my background.

I appreciate any advice.

Jack Holland

Hi Jack,

I'm not busy at the moment :) And I love dramas.

www.brucealangreene.com

818-802-9252

Hello Jack, I'm very interested in getting a dramatic feature under my belt.

My reel can be viewed here ... www.kraigswisher.com

Also, I own a Red One in which I have intricate knowledge and experience with. As well as 35mm and other High-Def mediums.

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Best Regards

Guest Glen Alexander

I don't know of these guys but I would suggest you actually meet and see if you get on with them personally and artistically.

If the he/she doesn't share your vision and enthusiasm, it's an expensive train wreck to clean up.

questions to ask them, what lenses or style would you use to capture nervousness? apprehension? fear? euphoria? do you want to shoot run-and-gun doco-style? or elegant and poinant story? do you want lots of motion? hand-held? just things to think about, going from stage to film is a different animal. actors on stage are used to projecting to an audience not for a camera, the body language is different.

Edited by Glen Alexander

Guest Glen Alexander
Wow working for a agent now then !! forgot to ask why arnt you suggesting we shoot in VistaVision !!!

No, not working for an agent?? Just imparting some knowledge from my own experience.

I'm working on a study, a true multi-viewpoint perspective painting, an homage to Rothko.

For me, I will ALWAYS shoot VistaVision and FILM. Even if I only do 3 to 5 films in my lifetime, they will be big bold works of art. VV and 65mm, large format is not for everyone. There are times when I felt alone in the dark, yelling shoot FILM, against the marketing tide of video. I emailed Keith W. about this and now I cease to care whether people shoot video, in the end, it will make my work stand even more above the video noise of now

Edited by Glen Alexander

Guest Glen Alexander
Hey Glen i am prob. biggest film person on this site !!! and i have shot VistaVision using the Empire flex ! so dont get me wrong please !! i really would like to see what you have been shooting on VistaVision .

John,

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a NTSC DVD, I don't have a PAL version. Standard Def doesn't do any kind of justice to the big VV, when I get the super-res version on Blu-ray done, now we're talking Baraka kind of quality. I didn't like the optical downconvert, it tended to build up too much contrast. To be honest, I got the biggest kick of watching my film in the same theater where Hitchcock, CB, and Brando watched their VV daillies on the same projector.

Most people who really get my film are like me, they are buddhist and spiritual. My French friends also 'got it' even without subtitles. Most westerners under the influence of organized religion, tend to go "Interesting" and are merely wowed by the images. Interestingly, Spanish people do get it, even with influence of catholic church, as most tend to live for today.

Apologies to the originator for mini-hijacking the thread.

Guest Glen Alexander
I'm curious. What will you gain by shooting this in Vista Vision?

resolution 78 lp/mm equivalent of IMAX

resolution 78 lp/mm equivalent of IMAX

And what will that buy you on this project? I haven't read the script so I don't know. Does the film need more resolution than Tombstone, Adams Family, Batman, Panic Room, Fight Club, or any other high profile, theatrically distributed movie? It doesn't sound like an FX laden movie from the description.

Edited by Tom Jensen

Guest Glen Alexander
And what will that buy you on this project? I haven't read the script so I don't know. Does the film need more resolution than Tombstone, Adams Family, Batman, Panic Room, Fight Club, or any other high profile, theatrically distributed movie? It doesn't sound like an FX laden movie from the description.

Old engineering saying, GIGO, garbage in, garbage out.

If you want mediocrity and flat images, go shoot red or video.

The lack of artistry, creativity or ingenuity on your part speaks volumes.

And I DIDN'T suggest he shoot VV, read ALL the posts.

Edited by Glen Alexander

Old engineering saying, GIGO, garbage in, garbage out.

If you want mediocrity and flat images, go shoot red or video.

The lack of artistry, creativity or ingenuity on your part speaks volumes.

And I DIDN'T suggest he shoot VV, read ALL the posts.

So Anamorphic, 35, Super 35 are considered mediocre and flat? You do seem to be suggesting the the director in this case would be better off shooting VV. I guess Coppola, Scoresese, Scott, Allen, Hitchcock, Mallick and others lacked artistry, creativity and ingenuity as well.

I don't know some of these guys but I know Bruce and you probably won't get more experience for the money.

Ditto. I'm a director and I've worked with Bruce Alan Green several times -- he's top notch.

Edited by David Willis