Diva flicker

Be careful with them color-wise...

we just used them on a shoot and their color temp was all over the place. Could be a bad set of tubes, but we had two Divas and lots of spares and they were all pretty unreliable.

just a cautionary tale....

• Premium Member

Hi,

Fluorescent tube systems almost unavoidably change colour if you dim them, so if the calibration is off on your dimmable ballast you may find they range between purple (high voltage, high frequency, not enough tube current to keep the heaters warm or excite the mercury, generally when dimmed) to yellow (All the energy going through the mercury discharge and phosphor, none through the other rare gases, usually when at full whack.)

Phil

• Premium Member

Hi,

No, not until someone builds a cold-cathode light. Cold cathodes dim more evenly, because they don't really react any differently when you pump enough energy through their electrodes to warm them up as they do when they're cold. They're not quite as efficient as fluorescents and they suffer slightly from a "thermometer effect" with certain ballasts, in that they can illuminate from one end then work along if you dim them enough.

I'm not quite sure why nobody's done this. I have a prototype miniature cold-cathode softlight, but I'm not exactly in a position to make a market leader out of it - Arri? Kino? Anyone?

Phil