Darren Aronofsky Flim Technique

Hey guys,

I was wondering how Darren Aronofsky gets the camera angle from in front of the actor while they are walking. He uses this technique in Pi when Max is walking around the streets of New York, and in Requiem for a Dream for just about ever character. If you don't know what I'm talking about here is a scene where it is used...

(0:52-1:15). It looks as if there is a tripod strapped to his waist or something. Anyone know how to get this shot? Thanks in advance!

I don't know why, but I've always found body mount shots annoying. I think it's because it's such an unnatural POV it draws me out of the story and makes me pay attention to the shot. I guess, I just always felt that if you're paying attention to the camera movement and not the story, you're defeating the purpose of cinema. Just my own personal opinion.

I don't know why, but I've always found body mount shots annoying. I think it's because it's such an unnatural POV it draws me out of the story and makes me pay attention to the shot. I guess, I just always felt that if you're paying attention to the camera movement and not the story, you're defeating the purpose of cinema. Just my own personal opinion.

Camera movements should be a form of visual music.

Think of them as instrumental solos between the vocals.

Though body mount shots are among the trippiest ones.

While M.Balsam falling backwards down the stairs in 'Pyscho' isn't actually a body mount shot it has a similar effect and works well.

Funny, I JUST rigged my own setup to do this about four days ago. I'm shooting a video for a contest where I wore the device for a whole day and did a time lapse so it all fit into about two minutes. I used sturdy backpack with a tripod strapped to it (make sure it's tight, I had to use a lot of gaff tape as well) then wore the backpack backwards. It looked cheesy, but it worked perfectly. It didn't shift once the whole day.