Color correction

Hi, I shot my first time on film last weekend. The stock was 16 mm Fuji F500 Tungsten balanced.

I had a lot of interiors scenes, where my main light was a 4k Maxibrute through a window (+ white difussion and a 101 yellow gelatin).

Then I had some exterior shots, where of course my main light was the sun (I used a ND9 and 85 Tiffen filters).

I want to know how to match both color scenes, wich are quite differents. The interiors are a little bit orange because of the 101 gelatin and I would like to get the same effect on the exterior shots.

Can you recommend me something? We don't have money for a Scratch or Inferno. I think we will edit on Premiere Pro, so we can easily use After Effects.

Thank you all,

Manuel Canales

Hi, I shot my first time on film last weekend. The stock was 16 mm Fuji F500 Tungsten balanced.

I had a lot of interiors scenes, where my main light was a 4k Maxibrute through a window (+ white difussion and a 101 yellow gelatin).

Then I had some exterior shots, where of course my main light was the sun (I used a ND9 and 85 Tiffen filters).

I want to know how to match both color scenes, wich are quite differents. The interiors are a little bit orange because of the 101 gelatin and I would like to get the same effect on the exterior shots.

Can you recommend me something? We don't have money for a Scratch or Inferno. I think we will edit on Premiere Pro, so we can easily use After Effects.

Thank you all,

Manuel Canales

I wouldn't consider Premiere Pro or After Effects for any sort of professional or complicated color correction, but you could probably get away with it. Your success will vary depending on the color scheme of the two sets/scenes. If there's a wider range of colors in your exterior scenes (blue skies, bright red cars, store signs, etc etc.) than in your interior scenes, you may need to desaturate (or selectively desaturate) accordingly. If you can't get someone with good experience in color grading, then you'll simply have to experiment to taste. Given that your exterior shots will be balanced (since you used the 85 filter), it will probably be easier to match that to your interiors instead of vice versa (unless you want to balance out the 101 yellow filters you used, which I assume you wouldn't because they were used for creative effect). Good luck!

I wouldn't consider Premiere Pro or After Effects for any sort of professional or complicated color correction, but you could probably get away with it. Your success will vary depending on the color scheme of the two sets/scenes. If there's a wider range of colors in your exterior scenes (blue skies, bright red cars, store signs, etc etc.) than in your interior scenes, you may need to desaturate (or selectively desaturate) accordingly. If you can't get someone with good experience in color grading, then you'll simply have to experiment to taste. Given that your exterior shots will be balanced (since you used the 85 filter), it will probably be easier to match that to your interiors instead of vice versa (unless you want to balance out the 101 yellow filters you used, which I assume you wouldn't because they were used for creative effect). Good luck!

Hi, thanks for your answer. We transfered the material three days ago and fourtunately we could make some corrections at that moment (instead It was the cheapest one-light transfer), reducing some Blue on exterior shots.

The Director is editing right now, so I'm gonna see the result tomorrow or after tomorrow. I'll post it on Please Critique My Work forum, so you can check it out.

Thanks again,

MC