"Cinematic" Photographers

Edgar Dubrovskiy

Just looking for the names (and pictures) of who you would call "cinematic" photographers.

Photographers whose works can influence our lighting, colour palettes, composition. Photographers you mention in pre-production meetings and screenings.

Would be interesting to hear what you guys think.

It's just I am building a book of various photographs - using it in pre-production for visual mood and style references/influences.

"Discovered" Stephen Shore today.

Some amazing simple pictures.

shore_shoes.jpg

There's a great group on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/director-of-photography/

jb

A lot of junk in that group - all you have to do is crop a photo to 1.85 to get in.

Looking more for established names, to be honest.

But thanks anyway - there are some nice pic in there, just have to look hard to find some :)

• Premium Member
A lot of junk in that group - all you have to do is crop a photo to 1.85 to get in.

Looking more for established names, to be honest.

But thanks anyway - there are some nice pic in there, just have to look hard to find some :)

There can be junk in there but it is moderated. You have to do a bit more than just crop an image to 1:85. Many more photos get rejected than passed. It's better than most flickr groups.

jb

• Premium Member

Gregory Crewdson is good one. He even works in the style of a cinematographer. He has a gaffer, a camera operator, and a whole crew that he works with. It's interesting because his it-takes-an-army approach is a little controversial in the photography world- a lot of people think he is giving away parts of the process that should be the artist's sole domain.

A lot of George Tice photographs remind me of stills of a film. Sometimes he is dramatic and sometimes he is very personal.

tice5petitl.jpg

artwork_images_119642_324400_george-tice.jpg

Alec Soth is cinematic to me because one photograph of his can usually, literally, tell you a thousand words worth of a story or a situation. He has a very beautiful muted color sense and tends to work in quite long series.

issue_002_alec_soth_2.jpg

oaacharlesen.jpg

Both of these guys work on 8x10 film. I suspect the cumbersome equipment and long setup time is at least one reason for their similarity to cinema to me. I feel that they think more about each frame than a photographer who shoots more and edits later.

• Premium Member

Crewdson is a bit controversial, as you mention Chris, but not one beats Sally Mann for that (well maybe there are a few others). In her photography, though, It's not so much the lighting that feels cinematic to me, but a little bit of the glances, breaking that olde 4th wall which seem to stir something in me with the still in the same way the motion/acting does in films. For example:

sally_mann_immediate_family_1.jpg

• Premium Member
Just looking for the names (and pictures) of who you would call "cinematic" photographers.

Photographers whose works can influence our lighting, colour palettes, composition. Photographers you mention in pre-production meetings and screenings.

It's just I am building a book of various photographs - using it in pre-production for visual mood and style references/influences.

"Discovered" Stephen Shore today.

Some amazing simple pictures.

shore_shoes.jpg

Edgar,

Take a look at Cindy Sherman's book, The Complete Untitled Film Stills, here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...n-9780870705076

A bit more info on Sherman and her work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cindy_Sherman

-Fran

Guest Tim Partridge

Cindy Sherman still remains number one for me.

Herb Ritts in my opinion was the master of slick, cinematic portraiture.

• Premium Member
WOW! I think Gregory Crewdson is the most cinematic photographer I ever remember seeing. Every one of his pictures looks like a movie still....and interesting movies as well!!

James,

I recall reading that Mr. Crewdson shoots many, many sheets of 8x10 film, shifting focus to cover the range of the subject, then merges them in Photoshop. I like a lot of his work, but not all of it. I know he's used some memorable character actors like William H. Macy in his photographs; this seems to make them even more cinematic.

-Fran

Crewdson is a bit controversial, as you mention Chris, but not one beats Sally Mann for that (well maybe there are a few others). In her photography, though, It's not so much the lighting that feels cinematic to me, but a little bit of the glances, breaking that olde 4th wall which seem to stir something in me with the still in the same way the motion/acting does in films. For example:

I've been getting into wet plate recently and found this a whiles back:

http://video.yandex.ru/users/alexey-mischiha/view/86/

You might enjoy it ;)

• Premium Member

I recall seeing a youtube video of Crewdson lighting and I wasn't too surprised to see Lekos and Arri HMIs etc as well as a bunch of folks with walkies ;)

Some of his stuff is very nice, but I tend to get a bit bored of it after awhile; it all looks very similar.

And definitally look into Ritts.

I had a whole folder of interesting photographers, but alas I can't find it now.

Interesting question and interesting thread.

I´ve referenced Jeff Wall for projects. His pictures often express something more- just beyond the edge of frame which give a feeling or emotional response of story - which has been going on before and after the still frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wall

All the best,

Martin

post-14-1259397238.jpg

Here’s a list of some of my favourite 'cinematic' photographers, I hope this helps. It should be easy to find their work, if you're not already familiar with it.

Sebastião Salgado

Philip-Lorca di Corsia

Trent Parke

Nan Goldin

Paulo Pellegrin

Mary Ellen Mark

Marcus Bleasdale

Josef Koudelka

James Nachtwey

Steve McCurry

Gueorgui Pinkhassov

Bruce Davidson

Joel Sternfield

Larry Clarke

Raymond Depardon

Edward Burtynsky

Larry Towell

David Alan Harvey

Antoine D’Agata

Jonas Bendikson

Joel Meyerowitz

Diane Arbus

Richard Avedon

William Klein

Brassai

Robert Doisneau

Robert Franke

Garry Winogrand

Henri Cartier Bresson

Edward Steichen

Annie Leibovitz

David Lachapelle

Horst P Horst

And, of course, Gregory Crewdson, Stephen Shore, Jeff Wall and Sally Mann

:lol: Yeah I probably went a bit overboard with my last post!

I forgot to mention Cindy Sherman - who is most famous for the Untitled Film Stills series (1977-1980). Her work is extremely relevant to this question, so I think you should definitely check it out.

If anyone's interested, here are a few links to some good photography websites.

Media Storm: www.mediastorm.com

Foto8: www.foto8.com

Magnum Photos: www.magnumphotos.com

Magnum In Motion: www.inmotion.magnumphotos.com

VII Photo: www.viiphoto.com

Burn Magazine: www.burnmagazine.org

That's me done (for now).

• 4 months later...
James,

I recall reading that Mr. Crewdson shoots many, many sheets of 8x10 film, shifting focus to cover the range of the subject, then merges them in Photoshop. I like a lot of his work, but not all of it. I know he's used some memorable character actors like William H. Macy in his photographs; this seems to make them even more cinematic.

-Fran

That's called focus stacking right? Do you have a link to more info?

• Premium Member
That's called focus stacking right? Do you have a link to more info?

Mel,

I can't seem to find the article. I believe I read something in one of the photo magazines about his collaboration with a gaffer and the exact technique. It might have even been in American Cinematographer. It was within the last couple of years, I think.

-Fran