Lighting for Super 8 on the go

Hi,

I'm just getting started with Super 8 and am interested in investing a small amount of money on a portable light that will give me good results for lighting things such as actors on a subway, outdoor evening shots, and other public locations without power outlets.

I'm already collecting material, such as work lights, flood lights, windshield reflectors, and a shower curtain, but would like one decent light that is preferable battery operated or could be plugged into a portable battery pack.

Also, I live in Berlin where the skies are white or light grey now so if anyone has suggestions how to make things look better on super 8 under white skies that will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody responded to this huh? Strange.

Lighting is crucial! Especially depending on what film stocks you're into using.

I've been using an LED light panel. It's a little expensive though. You can find less expensive versions, but the light it gives is daylight balanced which REALLY helps. You can also slip gels in front of it to bring the color temperature down for Tungsten or whatever. It takes 2 big batteries. Check B&H photo for some options for LED lighting.

Another major bonus is that it will dim without losing color temp. So, if you're shooting something close, you can tone it down so you don't blow out the shot.

I use it on the go, and the only issue is it's a little heavy, but bright as hell and will light up a shot with 500T in a really dark room.

Nobody responded to this huh? Strange.

Lighting is crucial! Especially depending on what film stocks you're into using.

I've been using an LED light panel. It's a little expensive though. You can find less expensive versions, but the light it gives is daylight balanced which REALLY helps. You can also slip gels in front of it to bring the color temperature down for Tungsten or whatever. It takes 2 big batteries. Check B&H photo for some options for LED lighting.

Another major bonus is that it will dim without losing color temp. So, if you're shooting something close, you can tone it down so you don't blow out the shot.

I use it on the go, and the only issue is it's a little heavy, but bright as hell and will light up a shot with 500T in a really dark room.

Thanks Adam,

I suspected the real answer was something out of my price range for the moment, but good it's to nail down something for the wish list. I've done a small amount of research on these LED light panels and it seems they come in quite a variety from the 3x6 Rosco lights to the large beautiful dreamy Arri sort.

I see that you are also a super 8 shooter, (and live in my home town as well, but that's an aside). Do you think starting with a smaller Rosco light is a good move, or should I hold out for the big mama (Arri or the such)? Keep in mind that it will be mostly for lighting for super 8, in indoor locations with some light, but very little. Portability is also a small factor.

Oh, and I prefer to shoot on a variety of reversal stocks.

Thanks Adam,

I suspected the real answer was something out of my price range for the moment, but good it's to nail down something for the wish list. I've done a small amount of research on these LED light panels and it seems they come in quite a variety from the 3x6 Rosco lights to the large beautiful dreamy Arri sort.

I see that you are also a super 8 shooter, (and live in my home town as well, but that's an aside). Do you think starting with a smaller Rosco light is a good move, or should I hold out for the big mama (Arri or the such)? Keep in mind that it will be mostly for lighting for super 8, in indoor locations with some light, but very little. Portability is also a small factor.

Oh, and I prefer to shoot on a variety of reversal stocks.

Jennifer,

Take a look at this. You can get it in Munich were Dedo is based. Use it onboard or hand held.

I like it because it has a lens and can be focused.

Wilhelm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5829..._LED_AC_DC.html

...is what I use. You know, I rent it for like 25 bucks if I have a shoot. Batteries, lowell and all. I tend to rent since I can't really justify making 8 hundo back on the light, but I want a GOOD one. :) Is there a good place in Berlin you can just rent one from if you need it? The lite-panel will brighten up a room like crazy. If you're shooting reversal that means Tri-X and 64T? 64T will be tricky to get enough light unless you're lighting a movie set. I've tried the lite panel and the film is just toooooo slow. Tri-X is ok, but you'll notice it really only picks up what's RIGHT in front of the camera. You're going to have much better results shooting 500T.

You're in Berlin, but you're from Austin AND shoot super8!? Don't meet too many (that's good for me), but cool to connect with another. Bride biz in Berlin, or...?