Lens element loose inside the lens - Nizo S560

Ara Mah

recently i bought a Nizo S560 on ebay with no returns (i know) and it seems there's an element inside the lens which is loose... if i look through the viewfinder, the image is blurry (naturally) and if i look in the lens i can clearly see it moving when i turn the camera upside down.

any ideas if it can be repaired?

thanks.

recently i bought a Nizo S560 on ebay with no returns (i know) and it seems there's an element inside the lens which is loose... if i look through the viewfinder, the image is blurry (naturally) and if i look in the lens i can clearly see it moving when i turn the camera upside down.

any ideas if it can be repaired?

thanks.

Theoretically it should be possible to fix the lens, like any lens... however you need to find a lens tech who is familiar, and that is a much tougher proposition. The problem with many super 8mm cameras is that half the lens is buried inside the body, and that all has to be removed... and many cameras were not meant to be easily taken apart.

I would suggest you call up local camera rental houses and see if any of their techs have any experience with Super 8mm or if they could suggest someone who does. Pro 8mm sound in CA would probably be a good first place to start. It also depends on if its worth it to fix it or just buy another one.

and since you bought it on ebay, and if the buyer didn't mention that obvious flaw with the camera, you can file a claim against the seller... and buyers have more rights on ebay then sellers do (i know this from personally having been screwed by cheating buyers in the past)!

just my two cents

Oliver

It is possible to open the lens body quite easily on these cameras, and probably worthwhile doing if the only alternative is a Nizo paperweight (I think if you have to pay more than $50 to get the camera fixed, you're probably better off getting another one instead..)

Towards the body end of the main lens barrel there is a tiny inset screw. Undoing that (do it over a piece of white paper nowhere near the table edge..!) will allow you to easily remove the entire main body of the lens, and see if you can get at the loose element to reposition it. It's also quite straightforward to replace afterwards.

If doing that doesn't allow you to fix the problem, things get much more complicated, and is out of the hands of an amateur with a set of jewellers screwdrivers (like me).

Anyway I've done it a few times to get dust out of the inside of the lens and such, and if I can do it I'm pretty sure anyone can..

Hope that helps

Matt

• 8 years later...

just a thought, sure its not the mirror which has come unglued inside the camera body?

My thoughts as well. I once bought a cheap B&H 2146XL for like $10 off eBay but when I got it, the mirror had come loose. So I took it apart since I figured "eh what's $10" and superglued the mirror back in place and now it works like a $10 champ!