what do you call a dozen of people waiting for something to happen? - a film crew....

Daniel Russel

Several years ago while I was still assisting, I worked on an episodic that regularly was "stopped" in its tracks while the head writer sat with the Actors on set to discuss the scene in progress that we had been shooting all morning. The wait times were anywhere from ten minutes to an hour. We would literally just sit off set while they privately discussed characters and dialogue and scenes.

Needless to say, there were frequent Second Units hired so that each episode could get finished in time.

• Premium Member

There's worse. Instead of waiting around, how about setting up and then they decide not to shoot what you have ready, and instead you have to set up something completely different. The name we coined for that is "movie drill" -- like a fire drill when there's no fire, we go through the motions, and don't make a movie. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
There's worse. Instead of waiting around, how about setting up and then they decide not to shoot what you have ready, and instead you have to set up something completely different. The name we coined for that is "movie drill" -- like a fire drill when there's no fire, we go through the motions, and don't make a movie. ;-)

-- J.S.

When that happens I always say they were just kidding.

Several years ago while I was still assisting, I worked on an episodic that regularly was "stopped" in its tracks while the head writer sat with the Actors on set to discuss the scene in progress that we had been shooting all morning. The wait times were anywhere from ten minutes to an hour. We would literally just sit off set while they privately discussed characters and dialogue and scenes.

Needless to say, there were frequent Second Units hired so that each episode could get finished in time.

X-Files?