Canon 7D One Shot Music Video for Prospect Hill

David Kruta

Wow!

I really liked it! I'm thinking about buying the 7D, so it was nice to see it used in a complex situation. It held up nicely in my opinion in situations with a lot of light and darkness (the outside shots). Would you tell me a bit more of the specs? ISO? filters? And it's so cool that you managed it all in a single take.

The only thing more I would have done was to smooth it out a bit in post, like color correction to give the skin a bit more pink, especially in the outside shots, but that's purely an aesthetic comment.

Really great though, thank you for posting it.

It more than surpassed my expectations, and we're still getting used to it and figuring out the best settings. I agree about your color correction comment - a process we are still learning and working on.

I believe we shot at 1240 ISO (although it very well could have been 640), 24p, 1/50 shutter. No filters. We had minimal lights to work with, thus the high ISO.

Wow!

I really liked it! I'm thinking about buying the 7D, so it was nice to see it used in a complex situation. It held up nicely in my opinion in situations with a lot of light and darkness (the outside shots). Would you tell me a bit more of the specs? ISO? filters? And it's so cool that you managed it all in a single take.

The only thing more I would have done was to smooth it out a bit in post, like color correction to give the skin a bit more pink, especially in the outside shots, but that's purely an aesthetic comment.

Really great though, thank you for posting it.

Awesome video - I just got a 7D myself and it's really encouraging to see it being used for serious production work. The quality looks really awesome. I've only had my camera for about a week but it's a blast so far!

I saw on your site that you shoot with RED, so I'm curious if you chose the 7D for this project due to it small size/weight in a crowded space, the budget, or was it just because you wanted to see what the 7D could do? I know everybody tries to compare these SLRs with the RED due to certain similarities, but what did you think?

Also, how many takes did you get before the final? I bet that was nerve racking!

• 4 weeks later...
Awesome video - I just got a 7D myself and it's really encouraging to see it being used for serious production work. The quality looks really awesome. I've only had my camera for about a week but it's a blast so far!

I saw on your site that you shoot with RED, so I'm curious if you chose the 7D for this project due to it small size/weight in a crowded space, the budget, or was it just because you wanted to see what the 7D could do? I know everybody tries to compare these SLRs with the RED due to certain similarities, but what did you think?

Also, how many takes did you get before the final? I bet that was nerve racking!

Budget constraints are the only reason I wouldn't shoot RED - it's a far superior camera to 7D. In this case though, it was ultra-low budget and we own a 7D, so that's why we used it. That being said, the quality of the 7D impresses me every time I shoot with it. It's a joy to work with and you can get great results if used correctly.

I believe it was 12 rehearsals and 10 takes.

• 2 weeks later...
Budget constraints are the only reason I wouldn't shoot RED - it's a far superior camera to 7D. In this case though, it was ultra-low budget and we own a 7D, so that's why we used it. That being said, the quality of the 7D impresses me every time I shoot with it. It's a joy to work with and you can get great results if used correctly.

I believe it was 12 rehearsals and 10 takes.

David,

We are thinking about a 7D. I like your video. What lens did you shot with?

David,

We are thinking about a 7D. I like your video. What lens did you shot with?

We shot with the Canon 16-35 2.8L.

Paul - Thanks. It was mostly DP/Steadicam Operator Jeff Melanson's skills that pulled it off though. jeffmelanson.net