which wide lens for an R16 ACL

Jon  Rat

Hi,

I'm considering getting a R16 eclair ACL and read that I won't really be able to use my Switar RX primes safely with the eclair C mount, what alternatives do people use to, for example, a Switar 10mm, I'm not that worried about Super 16 compatibility as I'll mask off in telecine if necessary, would a C mount Schneider 6-66mm off a super 8 camera work?

any replies are most appreciated,

Jon Ratigan

Hi,

I'm considering getting a R16 eclair ACL and read that I won't really be able to use my Switar RX primes safely with the eclair C mount, what alternatives do people use to, for example, a Switar 10mm, I'm not that worried about Super 16 compatibility as I'll mask off in telecine if necessary, would a C mount Schneider 6-66mm off a super 8 camera work?

Jon Ratigan

I use of Eclair ACL camera with CA- Kinor-16 lens mount adapter and russian super wide angle lens 6 mm, zoom lens 16OPF-12, 7.5-75 mm, 10-100 mm and russian prime lenses from 10 mm up to 300 mm.

Other question, you sure, what Schneider 6-66 mm device a super 8 camera - full zoom lens ?

May be, this is front zoom attachment with c-mount ?

The matter is that, we had russian Super 8 cine camera Quarz 1x8S-2.

Quarz 1x8S-2 have prime lens 12 mm inisde body and front zoom attachment 9 -38 mm with C-mount.

The front zoom attachmnet can be use with Quarz camera only or with any other prime lens as of front optical attachmnet only and can't be use like full zoom lens with C-mount.

The designer choose of C-mount like of connector with two optical blocks only.

That's why, I recommed to check of Schneider 6-66mm .

From other side, If the Schneider 6-66mm full zoom lens of Super 8 cine camera, this zoom lens do not cover of size of 16 mm cine camera.

I know this, becuase, to check of size of circle of image of many russian Super 8 and 16 mm lenses.

If you will have 16 mm cine camera, you need choose of 16 mm lenses too.

A some 16 mm lenses ( tele prime lenses ) can cover of Super 16 film gate too, because, a some 16 mm lenses can use of optical blocks of 35 mm cine cameras.

Any case, need test of this lens on size of circle of image.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Jon Ratigan

Hi John,

Your Schneider 6-66 Super-8 format zoom lens will not work : it will vignette at at least some, if not all, of the zooming range, and particularly at the wider angles.

A Switar 10mm (non-RX) lens would be a very good (and rather cheap) choice, but there are many other options, so long as you keep to lenses designed for the 16mm. (or larger) format. The Schneider 10mm in C mount is nice too, but if you have an adapter for CAmeflex or Arri mount on your ACL, you'll have a lot more choices.

B.