fire light

Alex Hall

Ill be shooting a scene for a music video lit by fire light. I'm looking for a few ideas on how to accent the fire light with a few sources and any ideas for getting a fire "effect" on the actors face in close-ups. Wish production had the budget for a flicker unit, but that's not the case. Any idea would be appreciated.

• Premium Member
Ill be shooting a scene for a music video lit by fire light. I'm looking for a few ideas on how to accent the fire light with a few sources and any ideas for getting a fire "effect" on the actors face in close-ups. Wish production had the budget for a flicker unit, but that's not the case. Any idea would be appreciated.

The low-tech approach is to put a couple of orange-gelled lights through one frame of light diffusion - to blend them somewhat -- and wave your hands or a tiny flag (I've sometimes used a magazine but hands work best) randomly in front of the lights, fast, slow, barely covering them, covering a lot of them, etc.

The low-tech approach is to put a couple of orange-gelled lights through one frame of light diffusion - to blend them somewhat -- and wave your hands or a tiny flag (I've sometimes used a magazine but hands work best) randomly in front of the lights, fast, slow, barely covering them, covering a lot of them, etc.

Thanks David, I'll give it a try.

Even if you could get one Flicker Box that would not cut it... you need a minimum of two.. preferably three. ;) ... and they are cheap. Tell them you NEED a few - and kick the dirt while pouting and shrugging your shoulders :( . You really need to sell it. They need to 'feel' your need.

If all else fails, you can also bouce the warmed light into a piece of mylar and manipulate that a bit.

• Premium Member

Depends on your resources but nothing works better than the real thing, especially on close ups. Film and digital cameras are so good in low light now......

Do you plan to have real fire in shot ? If so then I presume you'll have a stand-by making sure this all works to plan. Just ask your stand-by person for some extra flame bars. I've used these as sources, sometimes with a bit of a hard reflector behind...at a safe distance of course...

looks just like the real thing... ! ;-)

jb

You can also connect a 5k dimmer to a second one, and the second one to the lamp. will give you a flicker effect which you can also control with the knobs, but isn´t really very healthy for the dimmers...

all the best,

Dror

You can also connect a 5k dimmer to a second one, and the second one to the lamp. will give you a flicker effect which you can also control with the knobs, but isn´t really very healthy for the dimmers...

all the best,

Dror

all the best,

Dror