Director's Viewfinder?

For a short perhaps you could check out renting a directors's V/F, they're pretty expensive to buy for a one off like a short. If you're buying it could just come down to what you can afford.

http://www.filmtools.com/conviewandvi.html

They'll all show roughly the angle of view for 35mm motion picture film plus other formats.

• Premium Member

The Cavision 6x is relatively cheap and decent, all-metal and non-telescoping. I think the Alan Gordon Mark VB is ridiculously expensive and not much better, IMHO. Neither will show you full-frame 35mm (24x36mm) field-of-view, so I don't know how useful they will actually be in setting up your shots.

• Premium Member

Do you have an iphone? You could download Artemis. I worked with the DP that developed it recently and I help him test the new updates now. It's quite a brilliant little program. The main limitation is wide lenses. Since the iphone is a fixed lens, you are unable to display lenses wider in view than that.

Cool. Thanks Chris. Gonna try that.

I have a Kish and have used a lot of various finders and for me the real deal is one that accepts the actual Lens you are considering. That way you are (really) seeing what the neg will see in that position. The rest (to me) are guesstaments.

• Premium Member
I'm shooting a short using the mini35 adapter with a range of Nikon Prime Lenses on my Canon XH-A1.

I'm interested in buying a director's viewfinder. What is the best one for replicating video using a 35 dof adapter?

The other alternative is to use this iphone viewfinder...

http://www.chemicalwedding.tv/artemis.html

Works pretty well considering. Hard to argue with the price !

jb