My 2nd Film as Director of Photography

Very Nice lighting! As the DP you did great. Some of the Dolly moves needed a bit of massaging and I will attribute that to poor equipment. As far as Lensing goes, more soft foreground would help. There were a couple weird cuts especially the rack focus delayed action shot (you know the one.. around 1:20)...that could have definitely been fixed with a different cut point but overall, as far as (your) performance, you did a fantastic job especially in the lighting dept. Next time try a slower stock like 100t and really pump some light on the Set. That would be a great experience for you. Great job and kudos to the Set/ Prod Designer.

I enjoy the lighting very much, as well. The overall feel is solid, but the insert shots did bother me a bit. The general elements were good, but slight modifications in framing/focus paired with some editing adjustments (obviously out of your control as DP) could have enhanced the impact. Something like an option framing the elbow to hand, instead of just the hand and pencil gives you an option beyond just the macro. Keep in mind, beyond my own productions, I've worked as a photodouble (hand specialty) for dozens of actors on several projects in the NYC area (from 9-figure films to tv shot on the F900 with 6-figure budgets). Experimenting with other framing/ focus for your inserts could produce some great results you typically would not think of.

For example, something like texting on a cellphone, even if your interest shot is a macro with the thumbs on the keys typing, having a shot over/side shoulder and from the back of the phone, catching the phone and actor's torso, gives your editor options for assembly. Each one is going to be it's own setup, but the time/cost associated with that is far less expensive than realizing after the fact and having to go back to the location for reshoots...

Just an idea. Take my input, put your stamp on it and make it brilliant.

I think you've got a solid start though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...