16mm Demo Reel

Anthony Schilling

Great eye. Did you shoot the timelapse at night (of the cars) with the bolex? I wish I could do a long shutter on my scoopic like that.

I think the SD transfer looks pretty great. I haven't seen one that good in a long while. Is it 24p? Quicktime?

Most of my work is on print, reversal, or S8. But I have done 3 or so SD transfers of some 16mm negative. Here's a demo I edited together for possible promo use. Let me know what you guys think-

http://www.vimeo.com/8088359

Really beautiful stuff.

As simple as it is, and I do not mean that in a negative way, how can anyone look at something like that and think film is anywhere near dead?

What were the frame rates? How low did you get? Once my Arri SR2 gets a professional clean bill of health, I cant wait to experiment with my CE speed control unit and try really low rates in dark areas.

And your colors really pop at times. Is that just the stock or did you do something in post?

Even the super 8 is gorgeous.

Really nice job.

I use the Tobin intervolometer. With the city night shots, I was using 7212 with a frame every 3-4 seconds (open shutter) at about f4. The first night sky was 7217 with 20 second exposures, the butte night shot was 7219 at about 20 second exposures too. I can't remember the f-stops. I've been using an exposure chart for timed shots, and so far it's worked pretty well.

As simple as it is, and I do not mean that in a negative way, how can anyone look at something like that and think film is anywhere near dead?

Really nice to look at...love the city night and the house in the field..

I think it is because of the high price, lack of general availability, number of steps to get a finished product...

I would shoot film all the time if I was in a place like NYC where I could walk to Kodak, buy 100', shoot for a few hours, walk to PacLab, drop it off, have lunch, pick it up later...

If super-8 was reintroduced people would catch on..

I watched you other vids too...

I think it is because of the high price, lack of general availability, number of steps to get a finished product...

I would shoot film all the time if I was in a place like NYC where I could walk to Kodak, buy 100', shoot for a few hours, walk to PacLab, drop it off, have lunch, pick it up later...

Well Im not a rich guy. I budget my life for things worth my money, like film. I dont play video games. My cell phone is a basic flip phone. I still have a CRT television. I dont go on crazy vacations. I eat at home.

The walk from Kodak to Pac Lab is a long walk. They are not close. I dont know if they still do that same day processing deal. And if they do, you have to have the film in by like noon I believe. But that is hardly a reason to shoot film nor is that something that makes it easy. If you think that is the reason people in NYC are able to shoot film, you are mistaken.

I've lived in places where I had to have fresh raw stock mailed to me, then I mailed it out for processing, then mailed back to me -- small price to pay for quality beautiful images that last forever. Patience and discipline. ;)

Yeah, shooting on film is a sacrafice as is any hobby in your life can be. I pay my rent and bills, what's left over is allocated to shooting film... I love it. I have to send out to a lab, but fortunate to have a Spirit scanner in down that offers me artist rates on 16mm... about the same as I would pay for a pro transfer of super 8.