488 members have voted

1. 1. How busy was your 2009

• Same as always.
    • Slower than usual.
    • Really slow.
    • Scary slow.
    • Busier than usual.

Hi,

I have used negative psychology, I have increased my rates, and can now focus more on producing better product, but less of it, work is now more enjoyable and more profitable, and less of it.

I let the bargain hunters go to my opposition, they can work themselves into the ground for little return / profit if they like.

above all, you have to supply a great product at a reasonable cost to the client/s.

Solid state capture (P2) has also been a huge bonus to our overall workflow.

Cheers

Tom K

olinevideo.com.au

As a Senior Art Director in Advertising, I've shot 8 live action spots, plus three animated graphics spots. This in addition to the usual other ad work. So I'm very grateful for being worked a lot this year. Unlike a lot of agencies, two of my main accounts were "Mutual" companies (customer owned versus public stock type), so they did not suffer the serious stock market losses. They were smart and kept a good business sense along with the same budgets for work.

My business is government, and it seems like government has discovered the power of video. We went HD end to end in mid 2008. But hadn't really gotten a chance to showcase it. Now, since people have seen the HD work, I'm getting more and more. I ended up shooting nearly twice as much in 2009 as 2008.

Next year looks even busier. Just got a request to prepare for a bi-weekly podcast for 2010, and I have a multi-part historical series to shoot in 2010 as well. Local PBS is already interested. Creatively, I've been approached about being gaffer for one movie, perhaps 2, as well as assisting post. And I have a couple of spec commercials in the pipeline for 2010 as well.

It is my first year as a freelance videographer, January to August I has constant work, but with the SABC chaos, from July the bookings tapered off real quick leading to a couple of small shoots per month till this month. It seems to be picking up as I have been booked up till the end of Feb now and a few good contracts have found their way to me!

All the best to everyone for 2010 !!

Guest Glen Alexander

I did 60+ drawings, 30+ paintings, 1 short film, 2 new feature length scripts, 8 new songs, and 2 patentable inventions.

I'm still a student, but I've been doing freelance video for about three years and 2009 was by far my busiest on that end. 2010 is looking even better. The economy has been so bad people have been willing to settle for me and my prosumer HD camera over more expensive options. I'm doing a feature that was originally set to be shot on a Red with an HVX in the spring because they just couldn't budget it. I got bumped from AC to DP. Sucks for them, great for me! :P

The year started out the same as pretty much every year since 1981 at Pacific Title and Art Studio with only a few exceptions. Then at the beginning of June, my whole career came to a screeching halt when the wheels flew off of Pac Title.

It's been a really big adjustment after going to a place every morning, to trying to figure out where your going to look for work today, especially after not having to look for work in over 28 years. I feel like I'm ditching school everyday.

Being an ICG Local 600 member and working in a post production facility doesn't look very promising. Being freelance is all new to me. If anyone has some good advice for a fellow member it would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays and good luck for 2010 to all!