new filmmaker

michael caldwell

ok im not a first time filmmaker, but i dont have alot of experience with a camera other that making funny videos and music videos. I love it though! Im planning on applying and attend the academy of arts in san fransico. Any feedback on that school would be great?? My other question is im looking to invest in a camera. The one that i have always used is a camcorder that 5 or so years old. Im looking for a good HDslr or camcorder to get me started?? I've been told that the canon 7d would be a good one to start with?? any help would be great thanks!!!

• Premium Member

Save your money for eating/books etc. The school should have cameras you can take out (one of the benefits of a film school is the equipment) and as soon as you by a camera it becomes a money pit unless you know how to pay it off, and also, it'll be outdated by the time you unbox it. Wait and see what type of camera(s) you may be needing professionally (if you go that way) and then purchase, or buddy up with other students who want to be cinematographers and share the costs of equipment... they buy a camera, you buy lights (which is a much better investment IMHO.. and that's how I got through film school, on the power of my very outdated colortrans....)