One of the BIG ones coming to Blu Ray

Brian Rose

These ARE welcomed. The issue I've had with BR so far is the lack of support from the studios for older movies. I guess with the economy being what it is, studios can only afford to remaster only a few titles per year—although I do find that a challenge to believe. <_<

I'm still waiting for the Alien quadrilogy (although I'm really only interested in the first two) and Se7en ranking one and two on my current want list.

Excelent news. I am eagerly awaiting a critereon Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, as well as se7en. Its easy to look at a terrible or marginal movie and decide not to wait until Bluray, but those really good movies that you have loved forever, its a bit of a waiting game when you think the Bluray will be worth it ('Never Ending Story' anyone? I have a weird obsession with that flick...don't ask why.)

I personally cannot wait for a BR copy of saving private ryan. I think that and se7en are the two I'm most excited for. Hopefully, they'll get fincher to approve the process, because we all know with fincher, there's no way he's going to approve of a crappy, sup-par transfer like some of the other blu-rays I've seen.

Vertigo! Vertogo! I can't stands it! Someone already did a 4k frame by frame restoration, so all they have to do is "mixdown" ( dunno right term) to do BR.

What I wonder is, it's been nearly 15 years since the Big Resto, and I wonder if anything new could be done with digital technology, akin to Warner's 8K Ultrares restoration of North by Northwest.

I won't quibble too much, since the first resto was SO OUSTANDING. What will be unforgiveable is if Universal AGAIN omits the original mono track.

• Premium Member
What I wonder is, it's been nearly 15 years since the Big Resto, and I wonder if anything new could be done with digital technology, akin to Warner's 8K Ultrares restoration of North by Northwest.

I won't quibble too much, since the first resto was SO OUSTANDING. What will be unforgiveable is if Universal AGAIN omits the original mono track.

I wasn't aware of a 4K restoration of "Vertigo", the last one years ago was done photochemically, copying the VistaVision negative to a 65mm negative. I'm sure that would make a fine transfer to 1080P for Blu-Ray with a little bit of standard digital clean-up for dust, dirt, scratches, etc.

Yes, this is one of my favorite movies of all time, can't wait for the Blu-Ray. "Lawrence of Arabia" too.

Makes me feel old, but the restoration "Lawrence of Arabia" in the mid 1980's is now almost as old as the original movie was when it was restored!

Makes me feel old, but the restoration "Lawrence of Arabia" in the mid 1980's is now almost as old as the original movie was when it was restored!

I wonder what digital technology could do for that film. My, can you imagine how an 8K transfer would look, like what they did for Baraka?

I remember Richard Harris stating that when he began restoring LoA, that he Oneg was "in it's last months of usabilty," and he felt he had one last chance to print from the source.

What has happened to the O-Neg since then? Obviously they still have it, at least, as a historic relic. But do you think it is still usable? As great as the film from the preservation master must look, I'd love to see what something direct from the camera original would look like!

• Premium Member

I've seen "Lawrence" in 65mm twice (pretty sure it was the restored version). I recall that the print had an odd shifting grain pattern in some of the early desert scenes (particularly in the "crossing the Nefud desert" sequence), which I noticed on the DVD and laserdisc versions as well. From that, I assumed that this was baked into the original negative. I wonder if a new digital restoration will attempt to clean some of that up.

I thought the biggest difference between the look of the print and the home video versions was actually the contrast and color saturation of the studio interiors, especially in Faisal's tent. Those scenes in the print were much more saturated and lush looking, whereas the exteriors looked about the same, only more detailed (naturally!). Does anyone know why there was such a big discrepancy in the look of the interiors but not in the exteriors?

I personally cannot wait for a BR copy of saving private ryan. I think that and se7en are the two I'm most excited for. Hopefully, they'll get fincher to approve the process, because we all know with fincher, there's no way he's going to approve of a crappy, sup-par transfer like some of the other blu-rays I've seen.

Fincher personally supervised a HD transfer several years ago.

See

http://www.amazon.ca/Seven-Blu-ray-David-F.../dp/B001P42Y18/

(not the one to get...)

Edited by Michel Hafner

• 1 month later...
Fincher personally supervised a HD transfer several years ago.

See

http://www.amazon.ca/Seven-Blu-ray-David-F.../dp/B001P42Y18/

(not the one to get...)

I highly doubt fincher approved//sat in on that process, considering it's a canadian HD-TV rip, basically.

"It appears to be a release, in the Canadian market, of a transfer originally made, one might guess, for HDTV pay per view, or some such thing. That said, contrary to what some disgruntled reviewers have written, the image is outstanding, within the limits mentioned above, with good luminance, which is very superior to the DVD version, excellent color and very sharp detail. The text of the opening credits have been repositioned to appear correctly in the reduced aspect ratio, which supports the idea that the transfer was originally made by the studio for HDTV."

• Premium Member
I wasn't aware of a 4K restoration of "Vertigo", the last one years ago was done photochemically, copying the VistaVision negative to a 65mm negative. I'm sure that would make a fine transfer to 1080P for Blu-Ray with a little bit of standard digital clean-up for dust, dirt, scratches, etc.

Yes, this is one of my favorite movies of all time, can't wait for the Blu-Ray. "Lawrence of Arabia" too.

You ain't seen nothin' yet: George Lucas wants to re-release all 6 Star Wars Films in 3D!

But what about Lawrence of Arabia in 3D, with an all-new rap-orientated 13-channel Dolby Surround soundtrack, entirely re-voiced by 2012's most popular up-and-coming actors/celebrities/retired sports stars?!

Hello ...? Hello?!

Click-click-click-click - HELLO?!?!

Damn. My credit musta ran out....

The entire Criterion Collection is in plan to be remastered in Blu-Ray.. here is what is available so far..

http://www.criterion.com/library/bluray

and I believe all of the aforementioned movies are part of the Criterion Collection..

if only Criterion wasn't so expensive.

At least they restored the basso profundo deacon to 'Ivan the Terrible'.

Why would anmyone remove him?

I still recall James Earl Jones telling David Frost that that was among the greatest bassoes on film.

He probably had the only real beard in that movie, one of the greatest ever. The movie, not the beard.

I highly doubt fincher approved//sat in on that process, considering it's a canadian HD-TV rip, basically.

I did not mean to say this one was Fincher's (hence my comment: not the one to get). I said there exists one supervised by Fincher. I should have written "see also" instead of "see", to be more clear.

Edited by Michel Hafner