Vincent LAM

• Premium Member

I usually use:

Picture Style: Neutral

Sharpness: +2

Contrast: -4

Saturation: -2

Tint: 0

Seems to work well. Haven't tried custom curves yet. The different picture styles seem to use different gammas and knee compression, Neutral doesn't roll highlights off very gracefully but seems to retain the most detail.

• Premium Member

As far as I can tell the most important thing was to knock saturation back a bit and minimise contrast.

I only did a review of the thing but the pictures are subjectively quite nice if you do that.

The default picture style is appalling, clippy and nasty - I have no idea who designed it but it is lethally bad.

P

I usually use:

Seems to work well. Haven't tried custom curves yet. The different picture styles seem to use different gammas and knee compression, Neutral doesn't roll highlights off very gracefully but seems to retain the most detail.

Yeah, I just found that super flat01 picture style and the Marvel picture style. Once I finally get a lens of my own for my camera I'm interested in doing some tests and seeing how it handles things compared to the neutral picture style.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I just found that super flat01 picture style and the Marvel picture style. Once I finally get a lens of my own for my camera I'm interested in doing some tests and seeing how it handles things compared to the neutral picture style.

Watch out when using the "super flat" curves, I hear they can do some weird things to skin tones once the contrast is dialed back in during post.

When am I gonna get my CF card back, Ryan? Hope you like the footage from the shoot, sorry about getting mud on your new camera. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
how do the two compare to each other?

does the 5D MKII's bigger sensor blow the 7D out of the water, or are the MKII's images only marginally cleaner/crisper/(enter your own adjective here) than the 7D's?

the 5d is marginally cleaner and sharper at higher iso. At 100-400iso, they are virtually indistinguishable (other than framerate and field of view).

the 5d is marginally cleaner and sharper at higher iso. At 100-400iso, they are virtually indistinguishable (other than framerate and field of view).

really? only marginally? would better optics (on both, compared) make the 5D shine more, or would it stay rather insignificant?

• Premium Member
really? only marginally? would better optics (on both, compared) make the 5D shine more, or would it stay rather insignificant?

Hard to say. I was working on a music vid on which we were intercutting two 7Ds and one 5D using Canon L glass, as well nikon, pentax, and sigma glass. It all looked fine at 1080. Maybe zeiss, panavision, or leica glass would make more of a difference, I dunno.

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member

Both photos would have been improved with a little powder on the subjects. No camera system is perfect but a good makeup artist can help work around a given system's problems with skin tone rendition and excessive highlights.

Many of the pros shooting the Canon HDSLR's have come to the conclusion that "Getting the Shot in the Camera" is the best approach since its 8bit H.264 files are so fragile in post. I've shot a lot of color reversal over the years, I shoot with my 7D imagining it's loaded with Ektachrome to stay within the camera's available dynamic range. That's working out pretty well for me.

Don't use superflat, at least not when trying to deduce exposure. Numerous times my DP have wrongly judged the exposure because the curve is so flattened at both ends, when trying to gauge the exposure I would suggest using Satsuki's settings and then switching over to superflat just before shooting. Shane Hurlbut talks about this on his blog.

• Premium Member

I usually use:

My humble opinion is to knock down sharpness in camera and manage that in post. Seems to help w/ moire issues. I use a 5D.

• 4 weeks later...

Both photos would have been improved with a little powder on the subjects. No camera system is perfect but a good makeup artist can help work around a given system's problems with skin tone rendition and excessive highlights.

This is actually a single frame from a nightclub shoot. No possibility of make-up in natural settings.