super16 short

Olivier Koos

Hi,

this is my latest shortfilm, it was shot on super16 with kodak vision 3 500T.

Raugh schedule conditions (30 setups a day with limited crew).

I would be happy for feedback:

http://vimeo.com/7894965

password is: hjtzr23452

Sorry for the wrong aspect ratio, something went wrong with the upload.

Original is 1.85:1

cheers

Oli

Hi,

this is my latest shortfilm, it was shot on super16 with kodak vision 3 500T.

Raugh schedule conditions (30 setups a day with limited crew).

I would be happy for feedback:

http://vimeo.com/7894965

password is: hjtzr23452

Sorry for the wrong aspect ratio, something went wrong with the upload.

Original is 1.85:1

cheers

Oli

VERY nicely shot!

Very nicely done indeed! The Super 16 worked great, if you had told me it was shot on 35mm I would have believed you. Well directed and written as well.

Dumb question....does every one in Luxembourg speak English? Is that the day-to-day working language?

R,

Very nicely done indeed! The Super 16 worked great, if you had told me it was shot on 35mm I would have believed you. Well directed and written as well.

Dumb question....does every one in Luxembourg speak English? Is that the day-to-day working language?

R,

Thank you :)

In Luxembourg we have our own language which is Luxembourgish but because it is so similar to German, everybody who speaks Lux. can speak german as well. In Luxembourg school everybody has to learn German, French and English. But we have like 60% foreigners who only speak French, they can not speak anything but French. So on Luxembourgish sets French is the most common language. We also have many sets where the language is mixed, and communication becomes chaotic. I myself are familiar with the english set-lingo, a MS is a medium shot for me and not "un plan americain". Someone who wants to establish himself here as DoP needs to know his Set-lingo in German, French, English and Luxembourgish, not always easy if you ask me. It can be very funny if you ask a french electrition to "hang a baby and kill a midget" but he just might get it wrong ;)

The actors spoke English in that movie as if it was their native language. They sounded *gasp* American! :lol:

R,

The main actor was Luxembourgish but he studied in the US, I think that explains his accent :)

I don't know about the other one, but he has a clear over acted British accent, no ?

I like your work because it does not (look) 'lit'... it is very natural (looking).

Ironically, the lighting that looked the most (lit) and kinda took me out was the day exteriors at the end.. but all the Night work.. Beautiful! Love the bluish Fill panned across while he is driving. Nice touch!

It looked really good and well cut, acted, directed, and it was really scary, but I didn’t understand the ending. What am I missing? :unsure:

*spoiler alert*

I was expecting the girl to be a monster of some sort, I'm serious. The bus driver looks behind him and sees her sitting there, the next shot I expected was him looking back and as he does the girl is now right beside him & has a hideous face with big teeth, next blood splatters all over the windshield.

The tension built up to that was excellent, by "that" I mean some thing freakish and un-expected to happen.

Ok what can I buy the feature length right for? :lol:

Post it on YouTUBE, look what happened to this guy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8417789.stm

R,

Nice story with this guy from Uruguay!

I would love to upload it to youtube but don t even have the right to have it on vimeo (thats why I have the password). I am just the DP you know :P

Next time I will se the producer, I will tell her about this guy from Uruguay, maybe she let me upload it.

Hey David, I just saw your demo reel on you website, it is fazinating!

You would not be interested in taking me as your apprentice? :)

cheers

Olivier

Olivier,

I am honored you would ask. That was very kind. Unfortunately, there is not enough work to warrant it and frankly, I am not sure you need it. At the same time, we never know what tomorrow may bring and I hope to be shooting (with) you someday soon. I pm'd my email address so we can stay in touch should you come to the States.

All the best!

Olivier:

Very nice work!

How did you find working with 7219?

Did you need to crush the contrast in post to get those nice blacks?

(Especially the "bus" pov)

Did you transfer to HD? Was there any "graininess" in the hd trasfer?

What did you rate the film?

thank you.

Olivier:

Very nice work!

How did you find working with 7219?

Did you need to crush the contrast in post to get those nice blacks?

(Especially the "bus" pov)

Did you transfer to HD? Was there any "graininess" in the hd trasfer?

What did you rate the film?

thank you.

Hi there,

thank you :)

I love the 7219! The production had a deal with Fuji film at the time I came on board. I decided to compare the fuji eterna 500T (and vivid) against the kodak v3 500T and I knew right away that I wanted to go with 7219. It was not so contrasty as the fuji and offered a lot more flexibility (DR) in post.

So I convinced the production to go with my choice. I over exposed all the night scenes by one line to a complete T stop. We did a 2k DI on all the rushes. In grading we brought the blacks a bit down to make it more punchy and the shadows where brought a bit to the greenish blueish area (very classic, but it is a complementary color to skin tones, so I can see why this is so common). No grain correction. By the way I shot also the daylight scenes with the 500T.

cheers

Oli

Thanks for the info!

I have a shoot coming up and I think I'll go with the 7219.

I would suggest to always do tests, I can imagine scenarios where I would prefer the fuji stock!

Test reels usually come for free, and even labs develop them for free. Arri is always offering there labs and cameras for testing equipment that you might want to hire. Even better would be to test exactly the equipment that you going to hire for check up reasons (as long as you are sure that noone is going to touch that equipment between your checkups and your first shooting day).

• 1 month later...
I (personally) would rather shoot 7217 200t and push one stop. When shooting S16 (which I do predominately), I don't go faster than 200t. Of course I can imagine a scenario where 500t would be mandatory but only if I had to push that as well (as Oliveir did here).

that was great!

i really liked the lighting! really well shot!

i like when at the end the beardy man says: -i didn't see her!- that is brilliant! it is like he "couldn't" see her because she's someone else's routin! i loved it!

• Premium Member

Beautiful work as always, Olivier! How are you finding these directors who can write great scripts?!

Loved the Polanski and Nicholas Roeg references. That red slicker is pretty iconic. I actually really liked the day exterior shots, they do lift the mood by contrast which I think is intentional. The choice of format, stock, lensing, lighting, grading was great. Hope it does well for you, keep up the excellent work!

• 2 weeks later...

Very well done sir! From the first shot, I was hooked with how beautiful it was. I loved the blue road and the shot where the main guy picks up his new guests towards the end, showing the plaza or hotel. Very beautiful. This definitely looked natural.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Wonderful shot !! You created the suspense pretty well. I was really scared while watching it..

all aspects amazing!

perfect! bravo!

I really love it, and I am quite a critical person... this had my attention the whole way through

• 5 weeks later...

This really is Fantastic. It's let down ever so slightly by Mr 50 euro who's acting isn't quite as amazing as everyone elses in the film. However he suddenly seems to come together after the other guy suggests they switch buses.

I'd love to see a full length version tho maybe where our friend switches buses and then at the last minute the girl gets on the other bus. I'd like to see him deal with that on a bus full of passangers in a more urban setting. ;)

The cinematography was also excellent and reminded me a lot of films from yesteryear in spite of the modern stock. taxi driver for some reason! Not sure why. I liked the way that at the same time as this the girl (amazing and scary!) was bright and vibrant and clear. I thought it was great she didn't turn into a "monster". I felt that was a really poor aspect of the Roeg film actually.

I really hope your team will be back with another longer film. :)

Wonderful!

love

Freya