how do i edit a (8mm)bmp-sequence?

Robert Jansen

Hi,

I need some help with the editing of a 8 mm film. We shot the whole film with 8 mm camera's and digitalized the footage.

Now it's a bmp sequence, but i don't really now the best way to approach it in Final Cut Pro.

Someone tolled me you should edit with a converted smaller sized copy and once finished apply your project on the real master footage.

Does anyone have experience with this?

• Premium Member
Hi,

I need some help with the editing of a 8 mm film. We shot the whole film with 8 mm camera's and digitalized the footage.

Now it's a bmp sequence, but i don't really now the best way to approach it in Final Cut Pro.

Someone tolled me you should edit with a converted smaller sized copy and once finished apply your project on the real master footage.

Is your footage a bunch of little single frames? If so, I might try to convert that to an actual motion format, unless FCP deals well with the .bmp format.

Personally I have never worked with the bmp format. When you load your footage into FCP, what happens?

Are you able to edit it?

You need a splicer. These are the best

http://www.mondofoto.com/cameras/CIR_splicer-deluxe_3a.jpg

although this type is cheaper to buy but needs more expensive pre-cut tape.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/images/pro...s/prod_9141.jpg

and a viewer

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncat...zed/elmo912.jpg

and a couple of 200' spools.

They're not very expensive.

• Premium Member

If FCP won't load a BMP sequence, you could use something like ffmpeg to turn it into a Quicktime movie of some kind.

ffmpeg is a commandline tool and has a steepish learning curve, but there's a lot of help available online.

P

There's a tiny (430kb) freeware program called JPEGVideo that can convert a series of pictures into an .avi file:

http://www.ndrw.co.uk/index.php?f=free/jpgvideo/index

All you have to do is organise the images (assuming they're in correct sequence) into a folder and the program makes a video file out of it. You would have to batch convert to the bitmap files to .jpg first. I'm not sure if an .avi file will directly drop directly into a FCP timeline without some prior conversion or tinkering.

Alternatively, there is JPEGAVi by the same developers which is a seemingly much more comprehensive program. You can use bmp files. Though, it's not freeware so you'll have to cough up a small fortune to use it:

http://www.ndrw.co.uk/index.php?f=shareware/jpgavi/index

Hi,

Here're 2 methods:

Using QuickTime Pro

1. Do File>Open Image Sequence

2. Choose the 1st bmp image (these must be numbered)

3. Select the frame rate (you know how you shot it: 18, 24, 30 fps, etc)

4. Hit File>Save and you'll have an Uncompressed video, or choose File>Export and select your codec.

Using FCP

1. Start with User Preferences>Editing

2. Set Still>Freeze Duration to 00:00:00:01 (one frame)

3. Import all the images into your project, preferably into a new bin to keep things organized

4. Select all the images and drag them to a new sequence

Voilà, you now have a sequence you can nest into other sequences or you can simply export this sequence using the codec of your choice and reimport the resulting QT file.

Here're 2 methods:

Using QuickTime Pro

1. Do File>Open Image Sequence

2. Choose the 1st bmp image (these must be numbered)

3. Select the frame rate (you know how you shot it: 18, 24, 30 fps, etc)

4. Hit File>Save and you'll have an Uncompressed video, or choose File>Export and select your codec.

Using FCP

1. Start with User Preferences>Editing

2. Set Still>Freeze Duration to 00:00:00:01 (one frame)

3. Import all the images into your project, preferably into a new bin to keep things organized

4. Select all the images and drag them to a new sequence

Voilà, you now have a sequence you can nest into other sequences or you can simply export this sequence using the codec of your choice and reimport the resulting QT file.

Yes, this is the best way to go at it.