Expired expression 500T 7284

Zack Spiger

post-21396-1261493915.jpg

I have acquired three cans of Kodak Expression 500T 7284. It has apparently been kept in a fridge for the past few years. Attached is a photo of the label. Can anyone tell me how old this film is? Any ideas as to how this will look? thanks

I have acquired three cans of Kodak Expression 500T 7284. It has apparently been kept in a fridge for the past few years. Attached is a photo of the label. Can anyone tell me how old this film is? Any ideas as to how this will look? thanks

7284 was introduced in 2001 so they could be up to 8 years old. The only people who can tell you the date from the emulsion numbers are Kodak and they don't usually release that information. If you have a couple of feet of one of the rolls processed it will give you a date code although it is not that relevant. What matters is whether the film has a high fog level and whether it has lost speed. You can check the speed with an exposure test and that or the short length processed to find the date will tell you about the fog level. If the film does have a high fog level then you will get a low dMax in your positive image - milky blacks.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

The life of 7284/5284 was short lived, replaced by the 7263/5263 (another failure) and the 7229/5229 in 2003. The emulsion # on that stock would place those rolls in the earlier time frame of the 84's roll out in 2001/2002- Kodak emulsion #'s increase as newer batches are made of a particular film stock, and how quickly the emulsion #'s increase depends on sales of that particular film stock. I would send that stock in for fog testing at your local lab. Doesn't matter if that film has been kept in the fridge for a "few" years. You'll find out how well it was stored prior to those "few" years by looking at the density readings (RGB numbers - if they are too high, then I would say forget about it) and examining the exposed negative.

Jason

Certified Film

• 2 weeks later...