Tips & Advise need to shoot video for a song

Hi Everyone

Hope you all had a great christmas. I need some advise on shooting video for a song. This is what my requirement and my gears are.

Gears:

1. CANON 7D

2. LENSES: 28-135mm, 85mm f1.8, 70-300mm, 10-17mm fish eye

3. Have a hand made steadycam rig (built using this site info: http://steadycam.org/)

4. Can borrow a video tripod which can do smooth panning

5. Have 2 strobes which also has modelling light. (will be shooting in outdoor over the rock. so not sure whether i need lights)

Requirement:

I am planning to shoot this video to show my ability in photography and as well as video. I have 3 models and they will have great makeup and nice costumes. So i want to shoot a video for a song(yet to chose). My plan is to shoot individual models for full song, and all models together again for the same full song. So i believe i will have different angles and shots to edit well.

But the suggestion and advise i need is about which is the best frame rate, output format, shutter speed preference i should go far?

I have shot a video recently at 1080p hd using 7d. But i can see it is little bit freezing.. i mean it's not a smooth video. Can't explain well about it in english. Sorry... but i hope you understand what am trying to say. Video quality is amazing, except it is not smooth.

I dont have filters except polarizer for one lens. So i dont think i would be able to reduce the shutter speed to 1/50th of the second if i shoot in 24fps. So what is the work around for that? And which format should i go?

I dont want to mess up the whole day and ruin the oppurtunity. Would appreciate any INPUT which can help my shoot do well.

Can't wait to hear from you all.

Hariharan Swaminathan

But the suggestion and advise i need is about which is the best frame rate, output format, shutter speed preference i should go far?

I have shot a video recently at 1080p hd using 7d. But i can see it is little bit freezing.. i mean it's not a smooth video. Can't explain well about it in english. Sorry... but i hope you understand what am trying to say. Video quality is amazing, except it is not smooth.

I'm not familiar with the 7D, but I have a 5DMII, and as I recall 1/50th is what many people recommend for video shooting. You might try one of these forums to get suggestions for ideal 7D settings:

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewforum.php?f=64...4ddfe08e625d218

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/

If the video doesn't appear smooth, it might be that your shutter speed is too fast.

As far as output format, that depends on where the video will be seen; Web? TV? Projected? Let us know.

I dont have filters except polarizer for one lens. So i dont think i would be able to reduce the shutter speed to 1/50th of the second if i shoot in 24fps. So what is the work around for that?

In addition to using a polarizing filter on the lens, you could (the problem is too much light, right?):

• use polarizing or ND gels on your lights
  • dim the modeling lights, or use lower wattage bulbs if they're not dimmable
  • use (low level) available/ambient light (streetlights, practicals, flashlights, etc)
  • shoot at night
  • make sure you're ISO is set low (100)

Hello

Thanks for your response. I have been waiting for so long to get an idea. My shoot is postponed to next sunday that is jan 17th. I have one polarizer filter for my 28-135mm lens. For other lenses i dont have any filters. Actually am going to shoot all day. Photo shoot and am planning to shoot an video. And it might be tough for me to get a hold of the models to shoot at night. Since it's the daylight and i dont have modelling lights or any continous lighting source other than strobe flashlight. So probably i will end up in shooting higher shutter speed. But the weird thing is, the video which i said was little big freezing fast... is not happening when i converted it into H.264 format from final cut and as well as played the original in quicktime player. So probably it's the Adobe Bridge which might not rendering the video properly.

So to shoot in the day you would advise me not to shoot in higher shutter speed? But i left with no option... :( But what is the reason i shouldn't use higher shutter speed... and one more important question is, what kind of focus you all use? manual or auto? if i use shallow dof it's hard for me to focus on the subject using auto focus. At the same time manual as well... So what is the tip or work around for that? Please advise. Thanks!

Hariharan

I'm not familiar with the 7D, but I have a 5DMII, and as I recall 1/50th is what many people recommend for video shooting. You might try one of these forums to get suggestions for ideal 7D settings:

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewforum.php?f=64...4ddfe08e625d218

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/

If the video doesn't appear smooth, it might be that your shutter speed is too fast.

As far as output format, that depends on where the video will be seen; Web? TV? Projected? Let us know.

In addition to using a polarizing filter on the lens, you could (the problem is too much light, right?):

• use polarizing or ND gels on your lights
  • dim the modeling lights, or use lower wattage bulbs if they're not dimmable
  • use (low level) available/ambient light (streetlights, practicals, flashlights, etc)
  • shoot at night
  • make sure you're ISO is set low (100)

The higher the shutter speed the less motion blur you get, each frame is more crisp and you get more strobe-light effect like "saving private ryan" It is an artistic effect - if you like the look of a faster shutter, then go for it!

If I were shooting in the sun with a 7D and I didn't have any ND filters, as a starting point I would set the ISO to 100, put the shutter speed at 60 and then probably have enough sunlight for shooting at somewhere around f11 - f16. If you prefer the look of 50 shutter speed, then everything is the same but you have to close down one more stop. I consider focus an artistic control so I always use manual.

Because you don't have an ND filter, the compromise is that you are stuck with using the high f-stop. However you can still control DOF by zooming in/out. On your DIY steadicam if you use your 10mm full wide your shots will be very stable plus practically everything will be in focus. Then if you want shallow DOF move away from the models and zoom in to 200mm or so. You will have to be on a tripod for that.

Sorry if you already know all of this stuff. This is just a general starting point that I would use in your situation.

Edited by Jason Hinkle