New here, with question?

Luke Sweetman Pell

Hi all my name is Luke and just started on this site in the past few days.

I am about to start shooting a doc on homelessness, I intended to shoot on my recently acquired canon 1014 XL-s.

I'll be shooting a mix of stocks tri-x, plus-x, ektachrome and the new Kodak vision 3 500t, just wanted to see if anyone could tell me of their experiences with one or all of these stocks?

Also as the 500t is tungsten balanced, I was wondering if it is possible to correct with a photography 85 filter for daylight shooting, as I have heard that the 85 built into the canon 1014 XL-s is not totally reliable?

Another question is it worth doing a grayscale at the start of each 8mm cartridge?

I realize that was more then one question, that's me in a nut shell..

cheers

Luke

g'day luke,

Tri-x is grainy. Use it if you like grain. Can be used during the day, even though its a fast stock, but you may need to have an nd filter handy if its really bright (probably winter where you are, so won't be an issue at all). Plus-x is significantly finer grained. Looks great. Ektachrome 64t (colour) is grainy like Tri-x. Ektachrome 100d is much less grainy (like Plus-x). The 500t colour neg is quite grainy, but nice to use as it is so light sensitive. You will probably have to expect some white dust and sparkle when using super 8 colour negative. You probably shouldn't be using 500t in conditions that require a daylight (85) filter unless unless you really have to because of lack of other stocks, or because you like the grainy look a lot. It is probably the case that the 85a filter inside your 1014 is absolutely fine to use. I wouldn't bother with an external 85 unless you knew your internal filter was terribly faded or dirty. Since there is no removable lens on the camera you have (unlike a beaulieu super 8) the filter is unlikely to be dirty. There is really no need to shoot a grey card or a colour chart at the head of each roll. Each shot will be differently exposed and have different colour issues anyway. You might want to do that on a test roll to see what is happening with your camera, but not on each roll.

Know that if you shoot colour neg stocks (unlike the other stocks which are all reversal (positive) not negative) you are unlikely to have a diy or cheap telecine option - you probably have to go to one of the main stream transfer houses that charge by the hour for suite time. That is the best way to go anyway, but it isn't the cheap option.

cheers,

richard