Help with buying a Super 8 camera

Andre Hoven

Hey everybody :)

I am new to this forum but have read older post before and found them always extremely helpful! So thank you everyone for sharing their knowledge in this forum!!

I am thinking of buying a Super 8 camera and am trying to figure out what camera to buy :blink:

Here is what I have gathered so far :

- 1. The best Super 8 cameras seem to be the CANON 1014 XL-S, NIZO 6080 and the Beaulieu cameras (4008, 5008 etc.) ???

- 2. I need the camera to be crystal sync and was thinking of sending the camera after purchase to the FilmGroup (http://www.webtfg.com/sync8.htm). I want to record dialogue and sound with an external sound device like a fostex. If anybody knows another store, camera or solution to the problem of "crystal sync" it would be highly appreciated :) !?!?

- 2a. In this context which camera runs the "quietest"? Does anybody have suggestions concerning blimps or barneys (how to make/where to buy) ???

- 3. I am not a pro in cinematography :( and thus was wondering if it´s an advantage to buy a camera with a C-Mount like the Beaulieu 4008 (which I understand has the option of exchangeable lenses) over a CANON 1014 XL-S or NIZO 6080 which as I was told don´t have this option? Are the non exchangeable lenses which are attached to these cameras good enough or will it make a significant difference to the image in the end if I have the option of exchanging lenses??

- 3a. If yes, are there also different adapters available for Super 8 cameras (which have the option of exchangeable lenses) like C-Mount or even PL-Mount adapters???

- 4. Considering all my questions... which camera would you guys recommend me to buy :) ???????

Thank you already in advance for all the kind help and I wish everyone a Happy New Year :) !!!!!!

Andre

Hi Andre,

Welcome. One important bit of information is what are you looking to spend? 16mm cameras have come down in price over the last couple of years so that might be a better option if you're thinking of crystal sync.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I was thinking of spending up to $1000 for the Super 8 camera. I know you are right about the 16mm option and I actually just bought a Bolex EBM for a cheap price that I am planning to convert to Super 16mm.

Super 8 is cheaper to shoot and has a very specific look to it that I want to use for commercials, music videos and possibly a short.

I just don´t know as much about Super 8 cameras and am trying to get the best possible camera in that price range. I was at first concerned myself about crystal sync but I am happy to have found a company that can make those cameras run in crystal sync.

What camera would you advise? What do you think about the lenses?? Is it better to get a Beaulieu which has a C Mount or buy the high end Canon or Nizon that don´t? A plus with the Canon and Nizon seems to be that they can run with regular batteries whereas the Beaulieu has its own chargeable batteries that are old or very expencive to get...

Thanks Tom!

• Premium Member

Hi, i've no experiance with crystal controlling a super 8 camera, so i'm not sure which camera lends itself to be converted. One thing i would advise, is avoid th 6080, unless the camera has a full 6-12 month guarantee, although a quiet running camera, the main problem with Nizo 4 series cameras is they rely on an internal belt for the drive mechanism. Over time this belt stretches, thus causing problems with the film transport.

Canon 814/1014xls are great cameras, imo a tad over-rated, optics go a little soft at F1.4-2-8...

Beaulieu 4008 zmll geat camera, personally i do not like the 1/87th shutter at 24 fps, fast moving footage looks a bit strobby to me, much prefer the 7008 camera instead.

Best super 8 zoom lens (c-mount ) is the schneider 6-66, followed by the angenieux 6-80..

For quietness, the Nizo is the clear winner, followed by a serviced 4008, then the canon

For best image quality, consider a 4008 with 6-66 lens

Best run/gun camera is canon 814/1014 xls.

If i had to choose, Canon 814xls ( slightly cheaper than a 1014xls )