wireless video transmitter / receiver

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent wireless video transmitter / receiver system. I use the Panasonic HDX 900 & Sony F800 primarily. I'm looking for a new system that is compatible and appropriate for reality shows. Any systems that have come out in the last few years that anyone really likes? I want to make sure the video signal is stable and is not constantly breaking up. Also need to know that they do not interfere with the audio recordings. Let me know model, approx pricing and where it can be purchased.

Thanks in advance for your input!

cheers

al

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent wireless video transmitter / receiver system. I use the Panasonic HDX 900 & Sony F800 primarily. I'm looking for a new system that is compatible and appropriate for reality shows. Any systems that have come out in the last few years that anyone really likes? I want to make sure the video signal is stable and is not constantly breaking up. Also need to know that they do not interfere with the audio recordings. Let me know model, approx pricing and where it can be purchased.

cheers

al

just used this on a feature: cam-wave

worked really well, as long as there was a clear path between the transmitter and receiver. If something solid got in the way (ie. a wall), the signal would breakdown pretty quick, but with a clear shot between the two, the signal held up to 100 yards. hope that helps, good luck.

Bobby Shore

DP

Mtl/LA

www.bobbyshore.com

• Premium Member

I agree that IDX pretty much owns this niche. Right now may be a bad time to commit to a purchase, as the spectrum and white space thing is still very much up in the air. Lower cost alternatives may emerge when that dust settles.

-- J.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a distributor for the Starlink Wireless systems. I have had many people come to me for after they find that they are not happy with the Cam-wave systems. So as to not take up too much space here selling, I will simply lease a link to myself and one of my clients in New York.

Client: DV Depot

http://www.dvdepot.com/blog/starlink-wireless-monitors/

Me: AV Wireless Technologies

http://www.avwirelesstech.com

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Jeremy Hawkins

• 1 year later...

We have some pretty impressive new stuff we are debuting at NAB this year.

BOOTH C5349

Check the NAB Map at : https://expo.nabshow...n.aspx?mapid=40

Now, as for what we are showing:

We FINALLY have a 32 channel receiver to go with our FCC Approved 32 Channel transmitter, but that is not all. Our Receiver is 1000 nits (read daylight viewable) AND despite the brightness will last for a full 12 hours, with our batteries, without recharging. The receiver units are priced at roughly the same price as a 1000 nit monitor that does NOT have a built in receiver.

Additionally, we have our new QUAD-Screen receiver, also 1000 nits, that allows you to view 4 cameras simultaneously as well as switch from 1,2,3 or 4 cameras displayed.

We also have a new dual diversity receiver as well as a new, inexpensive digital unit that have to be seen to be believed.

I just started putting the new equipment on the website yesterday. It will take a bit as my web developer has the same flu-like thing that everyone else seems to be getting. Email me at contact@avwirelesstech.com and I will send you product slicks.

Thanks ALL and I will see you at the show!

Jeremy Hawkins

President/CEO

AV Wireless Technologies

• 1 month later...

Al -

Have you tried StarLink Wireless. We provide exactly what you are looking for and have have long standing clients who are very involved in reality shows. I would be happy to chat with you.

Sandy

StarLink Wireless

520-404-2987

• Premium Member

I haven't been impressed by the camwave. I used 2 on detroit 187, where we had big 2-handheld-camera sweeping masters and the focus pullers were often pulling off the wireless signal, and they get noisy very fast. If you need an HD system and can afford it, the best of the current crop I've used is the boxx meridian.

The teradek cube seems like a promising idea, too, but only when they figure out how to cut down the delay times. It's very attractive to me to be able to give each department an IP address and some instructions and have them all able to see picture on an ipad or laptop when they want.

cheers

al

Hi Allan,

try to find it here: http://www.mytrendyphone.co.uk/shop/photo-video-152s.html

• 8 months later...

At the end of the day, there are many options depending on what you are looking for and how much you have to spend.

The Teradek cube is quite good, provided you can deal with some delay AND have an existing infrastructure of IP to work with. My opinion is that it is the ABSOLUTE BEST out there for things like corporate video as it is easy to use and set up and translates very well to internet streaming.

Modulus and Canatrans are seen quite a bit and have their place, but there are issues with both picture quality and FCC, and the FCC has really been cracking down on unlicensed transmitters and receivers. Will you probably get away with it? Sure, and for quite some time, but the fine is substantial, and the counts build up, so a single incidence of use can cost $10k or more and, if you rent them out ever, and advertise that you do so, those are also charged against you with additional substantial fines.

There are 1.2, 2.4, and 5.8ghz analog systems out there also. For the most part, these systems have the same issue as the modulus and Canatrans as far as FCC, but tend to provide a better picture quality. 1.2Ghz systems have a bit better ability to travel through objects, but have a bit less range. 2.4ghz systems have more range, but are operating on a crowded frequency which makes the FCC issue much more of a consideration due to the fact that you are more likely to step on someone else's signal, thereby alerting the authorities, though it is a good compromise between distance and penetration. 5.8ghz systems I do not generally recommend because the signal tends to shatter and interfere with itself if it meets an obstacle of any kind.

Then you have digital systems. These systems provide great range, great picture quality, and have little conflict with FCC rules. They are, however, quite expensive and, at best, have 4 channels, with the VAST majority of them having 1 or 2.

Finally, you have HD Systems. These systems are lovely, but are either INCREDIBLY short ranged, have an unacceptable time delay, or are SHOCKINGLY expensive. To produce a workable signal with an imperceptible time delay and significant range, you are looking at a unit that is not only quite large, but also in the $75-500k price range. For some applications, such as sending a broadcast HD signal from a race car, that is perfectly acceptable. In general, however, wireless systems are video preview units so that the Director and others can see what each camera is seeing and adjust the shot accordingly. This means that there is no reason to spend the money on HD when a SD signal will perform just as well for that purpose, have more channels, and generally be more versatile.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a dealer for Starlink wireless equipment. We went the 2.4Ghz analog route for our systems, but we did it with FCC approval. Our latest transmitters are the 1550TX which have adjustable power settings and 32 channels and ship with an FCC ID#. We have paired that with our 32 Channel LCD Receiver that FINALLY came out (had to get it right). Being as the Receiver is intended for use outdoors, we have included a screen that puts out 1400 nits, meaning you can point it at the sun at noon on the beach and still have no problem seeing it. With our proprietary batteries, the unit receiver will stay powered from 8 - 16 hours, depending on use and the model of battery you choose. Range is about 1000-3000 feet line of sight.

I am just now updating the information on my website about our latest and greatest, so feel free to check it out.

Hope this helps answer some questions for everyone!

Jeremy Hawkins

AV Wireless Technologies

www.avwirelesstech.com