Over Head Flying Camera - La Haine

I would like to know how the following shot was ACTUALLY accomplished from the film La HAine...

Action :

camera takes aim on a resident DJ in the cité, he turns

his speaker out his open bedroom window to spin a mix of KRS-One’s Sounds of

da police, Supreme N.T.M/ Cut Killer’s Nique la police and Edith Piaf’s Je ne

regrette rien.....

From here the camera embarks on an extended flight over the cité scene.

How is the filmed POV of taking flight over the city achieved....does anyone know....

The Cinematographer was Pierre Aim

glad if anyone could help :)

Matt

Hey Matt,

I'm about 90% sure that the entire thing was filmed on a helicopter. It's been a long time since I've seen the film and I'm having a tough time remembering the angles of the camera and the DJ at the start of the shot, so I can't say with certainty that there isn't a cheat early in the shot before we find ourselves looking through the DJs window.

However if I remember correctly it's all done from a helicopter. I know for a fact that they had to have the shadow of the helicopter removed from the building early in the shot. If you have access to the DVD the scene is discussed there in one of the extra features.

Hope that helps, great film BTW.

Mike

I would like to know how the following shot was ACTUALLY accomplished from the film La HAine...

Action :

camera takes aim on a resident DJ in the cité, he turns

his speaker out his open bedroom window to spin a mix of KRS-One’s Sounds of

da police, Supreme N.T.M/ Cut Killer’s Nique la police and Edith Piaf’s Je ne

regrette rien.....

From here the camera embarks on an extended flight over the cité scene.

How is the filmed POV of taking flight over the city achieved....does anyone know....

The Cinematographer was Pierre Aim

glad if anyone could help :)

Matt

Hey Matt,

I'm about 90% sure that the entire thing was filmed on a helicopter. It's been a long time since I've seen the film and I'm having a tough time remembering the angles of the camera and the DJ at the start of the shot, so I can't say with certainty that there isn't a cheat early in the shot before we find ourselves looking through the DJs window.

However if I remember correctly it's all done from a helicopter. I know for a fact that they had to have the shadow of the helicopter removed from the building early in the shot. If you have access to the DVD the scene is discussed there in one of the extra features.

Hope that helps, great film BTW.

Mike

Thnak MIke....i'm pretty sure it was a helicopter too. Like you i'm not 100%. take it easy

m

Thnak MIke....i'm pretty sure it was a helicopter too. Like you i'm not 100%. take it easy

m

I just went and watched it again on

and can say it's just a helicopter shot. I was uncertain about the beginning of the shot when I posted yesterday, for some reason I was thinking the camera flew out of his window. Seeing it again they just cut from inside his bedroom to outside on the helicopter. At around 2:28 to 2:31 in the YouTube video is where they had to edit out the shadow of the helicopter, I remember that clearly from the DVD.

• 9 months later...

Hello Matt,

I'm Emmanuel Previnaire the founder of the Flying-Cam system (www.Flying-Cam.com).

The shot was done with our crew using the Flying-Cam I Unmanned Remote helicopter. At that early age of the system we had only a fixed camera head and as you describe the shot started in front of the window with the Remote PIlot on top of the roof and flying away between the building.

Since then we have developed the Flying-Cam II with a remote head and recently we are developing the Flying-Cam III that will be using fully automatic Pilot with active stabilization.

Fell free for any other questions... :)

Sincerely,

Emmanuel.