Arriflex 16mm BL: What size changing bag?

Derek Diggler

I'll be shooting on a 16mm BL soon, and I was wondering how big of a changing bag I should buy? I live in a shitty area with no camera shops in sight, so I have to buy one online from B&H or something and hope that it's a good fit. :P

(I'm hoping specifically for a changing bag and not a tent, mostly because it seems bags are cheaper, and I'm used to working with them.)

Edited by D Diggler

• Premium Member
I'll be shooting on a 16mm BL soon, and I was wondering how big of a changing bag I should buy? I live in a shitty area with no camera shops in sight, so I have to buy one online from B&H or something and hope that it's a good fit. :P

(I'm hoping specifically for a changing bag and not a tent, mostly because it seems bags are cheaper, and I'm used to working with them.)

I always considered dust a much bigger problem when loading and unloading 16mm motion picture mags when compared to unloading 35mm film cassettes from still cameras (for B&W processing), so I set aside my changing bag from my still photography work and invested in a Harrison Pup Tent for motion picture mags. It is smaller than the regular Harrison Tent, but big enough for 16 mm mags, if you're careful.

I find it easier to keep the tent clean, as opposed to a changing bag, and also find it easier to make sure the film is not rubbing or touching the fabric inside the tent (and thereby picking up dust and fibres).

Best,

-Tim

I always considered dust a much bigger problem when loading and unloading 16mm motion picture mags when compared to unloading 35mm film cassettes from still cameras (for B&W processing), so I set aside my changing bag from my still photography work and invested in a Harrison Pup Tent for motion picture mags. It is smaller than the regular Harrison Tent, but big enough for 16 mm mags, if you're careful.

I find it easier to keep the tent clean, as opposed to a changing bag, and also find it easier to make sure the film is not rubbing or touching the fabric inside the tent (and thereby picking up dust and fibres).

Best,

-Tim

Thanks! That's good advice. I usually load/unload coaxial mags in changing bags and haven't really had a problem, but I could see how the, uh, dual-axial(?) BL could be more prone, since it'll be open under there twice as long and stuff.

In that case, can you recommend a good size changing tent for the BL mag?

• Premium Member
Thanks! That's good advice. I usually load/unload coaxial mags in changing bags and haven't really had a problem, but I could see how the, uh, dual-axial(?) BL could be more prone, since it'll be open under there twice as long and stuff.

I use the Pup Tent from Harrison. Some folks think that is too small, but it works okay for me, though I am a bit anal when loading my mags and am very careful, regularly clean the inside of the tent, etc. I load my Arriflex 35IIC mags in that tent as well, the 200 ft and 400 ft ones.

Can't remember where I got mine, as it was many years ago, but you can get them from B&H:

Harrison Pup Film Changing Tent

Best,

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I have Arri 16S and BL also, the mags are simple 400 ft. displacement types. These are very similar to the 400ft. displacement mags for the Bolex cameras I used in the summer of 2008. These I loaded and unloaded the recans in a typical changing bag. I had no trouble-- maybe I was just lucky.

But I guess as with all things, practice and get the feel of the magazine's layout. Practice over and over again until the parts feel more familiar in your hands. Then practice it out of the bag, but not looking at what you are doing, that or (like I did) practice in the bag with old film.

Hope this helps!

God Bless!

John King

• Premium Member

There's no such thing as a changing bag being too big. Get a big one, and you'll be able to do 1000 ft 35mm displacement mags if the need ever arises. Working in a big bag is -- at least for me -- a tad bit easier than using one that's barely big enough.

-- J.S.

• Like 1