720p v. 1080i 24p v. 1080i 24pA

Brandon Whiteside

• Premium Member

The HVX200 has a 960x540 chip set, so 720 and 1080 are both upconversions done in camera. How well are they done? You'd have to test them through the whole path to your final delivery format and look at them. But you're starting with 540 photosites vertically, so that's what limits the ultimate resolution.

-- J.S.

Which format gets you the most for your "money?" Money being hard drive space. Thanks!

I always shoot 720 24P Native when I am concerned about hard drive space, such as for long form projects. With a 16GB P2 card you will get 16min of recording time in shooting 1080i60, 1080p30n, 1080p24n, or 720p60. You will get 32min shooting 720p30 (no audio is recorded because of the frame rate), but 40min shooting 720p24n. 24p native gives the most recorded time because there is not any duplicate frames to be pulled down. Since you are dealing with less frames, it also takes up less space when transcoded to QuickTime and less time to compress to DVD or web.

But as others have already answered, the best thing to do is TEST the different shooting formats and see what works best for your project. Each format behaves differently regarding light needs, motion blur and strobing, etc.

To me the 720p30 format seems to be the poor mans choice to rival 1080p24. With 720p30 you get twice the recording time and while the spatial resolution is halved the temporal resolution it 25 percent sharper than 1080p24. However the lack of audio recording seems like a real problem for 720p30.

To me the 720p30 format seems to be the poor mans choice to rival 1080p24. With 720p30 you get twice the recording time and while the spatial resolution is halved the temporal resolution it 25 percent sharper than 1080p24. However the lack of audio recording seems like a real problem for 720p30.

You don't get audio on the hvx200 if the camera frame rate is mismatched to the recording (native) frame rate. If you record 720p30N and the camera frame rate is 30fps, you do get audio.