Tape Labels

I am looking to make some "pre-made" tape labels for DVCpro-50 tapes, MiniDV tapes, Beta / HDCAM, or whatever other tapes are out there.

What are people using for these? When I was an assistant I used those avery labels but forgot / lost the numbers of the label patterns. Does anyone have them???

Easier then the stock labels that come in the tape.

Thanks.....

• Premium Member
I am looking to make some "pre-made" tape labels for DVCpro-50 tapes, MiniDV tapes, Beta / HDCAM, or whatever other tapes are out there.

What are people using for these? When I was an assistant I used those avery labels but forgot / lost the numbers of the label patterns. Does anyone have them???

Easier then the stock labels that come in the tape.

Thanks.....

I use the avery labels, too. I forget the stock number of the size that's right. Just take a tape to the store and look, they always have the actual size of the labels on the package. Make sure you get the "water resistant" labels, your tapestock should obviously stay dry but they just stay put better.

What I do is print out one sheet of paper (printer software almost always includes templates for the avery labels now) with all the label info. Then I'll take all my labels and that printed sheet to a copyshop and photocopy the printed sheet onto all the labels. It's cheaper that way.

I think you should be able to download label patterns from avery's website. In a pinch, you could always space it out manually.

I'm even more geeky. I measured the label sheets that come with HDCAM, DVCPRO-L and DVCPRO-M tapes, and I made InDesign templates for each of them. Then I can pre-fill all the info like show name, season, etc. Then when you're on a show where you have hundreds of tapes, you can easily label them in batches. Just take out all the label sheets from the cases of tapes, and feed them through a laser printer. The label sheet for the DVCPRO-M tapes are about as small as the minimum sheet size for my printer, so it still feeds in properly. Then you end up with a huge stack of pre-printed labels that you can then start putting on your tapes in one giant label-sticking session. On the day, you just grab a tape and write in the roll# and date.