Apple Compressor - Not Preserving Source Timecode

Elliot Rudmann

Not sure if any other people have been experiencing this issue, but every time I convert a quicktime file through Compressor that has embedded source timecode (like RED quicktimes made from their native R3D files), Compressor offsets the timecode.

ie. Start-in timecode of original (correct) quicktime file: 05:22:19:08

Start in timecode of converted file exported out of Compressor (incorrect): 05:22:00:00 !!!

This is with compressor settings using 100% of source resolution and frame rate! No other weird custom settings. When you preview the clip in Compressor it also shows incorrect in-out source timecode.

In some cases, the offset hasn't been as extreme as the example I showed. With RED files (converting prores to different formats), it's often 1-2 frames off. I am using Compressor version 3.0.5 on Apple OSX 10.5.8 w/ 2x 2.66ghz dual-core intel xeon tower CPU. The same problem persists on other Apple computers with different specs, which makes me think this is probably a very serious bug in the program. Using Quicktime Pro doesn't work because when you export from it, it doesn't even preserve the source timecode (it just deletes it). If anyone has any suggestions or solutions (perhaps manually setting source timecode?), I'd GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Elliot