Allen Daviau

Rob Vogt

What's he been up to recently? The last thing I saw of his was the "Judith" music video by A Perfect Circle. Anybody know any commercials or stuff he's done since? He's such a knowledgeable and plain old nice guy.

There is a really cool chapter from the book "Reflections: 21 Cinematographers at work." Mr. Daviau describes how he lit a scene from the movie "Fearless." If I remember correctly the scene was in a really small bedroom, there was not really any room to hang lights and there was one small window that only had direct sunlight for may be an hour. One of my favorite chapters, an awesome book, a must have.

I interviewed him a few years ago for The Wizard of Oz DVD box set and I did an audio commentary with him on some film noir movies. Great guy, the nicest guy you would ever want to hang out with. And a great DP. Nothing but smiles and deep knowledge.

Dan

• Premium Member

So funny...I just ran into him last week in a restaurant in downtown LA. Chatted with him for a while and like everybody here has said what a super nice guy. Said he's getting ready to shoot a small project on the "new RED". Not sure if that meant the Scarlet or what. He was such a great guy he told me to call him if I wanted to meet for lunch and talk further which when I get some free time I will certainly do!

Andy

The way Khondji is noted for exploring the "toe" part of the curve in his shadowy projects, I feel Daviau's work in Fearless really tests the "shoulder." There are shots in Fearless that take place almost entirely in that exposure zone and there's still gradations of different bright tones.

Mentioning that point, your comment about his next shoot seems disappointing. His stuff doesn't really seem fit for clipped highlights.