35mm adapter

Cristian Carceller

• Premium Member

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying an adapter. Perhaps renting one if you think you might need it, so as to get lenses and all the support you'll need as well. And, were I to spend money on things film-like... I'd look into buying lighting and or grip gear which has a much longer shelf life and is needed on every set.

• Premium Member

Sold it off awhile ago. It was alright, but I hardly used the thing and the guy I sold it to paid almost what a new one would cost. Then I got my awesome '87 oldsmobile... lol.

I didn't mind the adapter itself, most of the time, and used it on a few shorts/music videos, but didn't like messing with the nikon lenses, and few people want(ed) to pay to rent good PL optics.

Though, now that I got the 2M and Lomos, I am often curious how well it'd've worked with an OCT mount on the Letus.

• 2 weeks later...
i am making a low budget short film with a canon gl2 and i am wondering if it is worth it to buy a 35mm adapter. I am recently making some money buy filming events. so money right isnt a option. And please tell me where to buy one

For right around the price of the Letus you can get a camera like the D90 or Panasonic Digix DMC-GH1. In terms of shooting your video, you'll be getting a much simpler process. I've found the 35mm adapters I've used (granted many home made, but still with the Redrock as well) to be somewhat cumbersome, and always a bit finicky.

With these two DSLRs you can shoot HD video and get tremendous depth of field and selective focus control. Plus you can interchange lenses for even more flexibiltiy. I really enjoy my Panny GH1. Also, for a bit more (about $2000 with lens) you can get the Canon 7D which has slightly better image quality. All of these shoot in 24p as an option too, if you ever find yourself wanting to add the progressive 'film' look to your video.

After owning adapters and then the D90 and now the GH1 I would very much recommend a DSLR.

I guess I should point out that this is also assuming that you have the software and computer horsepower to edit AVCHD. The format can be cumbersome to edit.

All that said, if you're looking for DoF control and your tired of getting far away from your subject and zooming in (or find yourself in situations where that isn't an option) then an adapter can be a fun toy and a useful tool.