Arri16S.com going away Feb. 8th

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

It's with a bit of sadness and nostalgia that I announce the end of the Arri16S.com web site I have been running for the last four years. We had alot of fun with it, gathering all the information, film clips, bits and pieces, and cool Arriflex 16S cameras and accessories.

Unfortunately, with the rise of inexpensive HD digital video, the call for 16mm cameras (and service to those 16mm cameras) has just dried up. The site went from over 2000 hits per month to less than 40 hits per day. So I'm shutting it down when it's domain expires on February 8th.

Please visit the site and download any information, video clips, pictures, user manuals, etc. that you'd like to keep before that date.

Best,

-Tim

It's with a bit of sadness and nostalgia that I announce the end of the Arri16S.com web site I have been running for the last four years. We had alot of fun with it, gathering all the information, film clips, bits and pieces, and cool Arriflex 16S cameras and accessories.

Unfortunately, with the rise of inexpensive HD digital video, the call for 16mm cameras (and service to those 16mm cameras) has just dried up. The site went from over 2000 hits per month to less than 40 hits per day. So I'm shutting it down when it's domain expires on February 8th.

Please visit the site and download any information, video clips, pictures, user manuals, etc. that you'd like to keep before that date.

Best,

-Tim

The drop-off in hits had to be inevitable. But it doesn't necessarily mean there is a drop-off in the overall interest of the legendary Arri S. At least not as extreme as this situation may imply.

You got to figure once the site went live it was something exciting and new for 16mm enthusiasts to visit and explore. And not just Arri S users. Ultimately, after becoming familiar with the site and what it had to offer, those users no longer needed to continue to explore.

Its not like the Arri S is still being mass produced to continue to bring new users to your site.

If you were able to update the site more frequently, perhaps with pics and vids from other users - like their experimentation and use of the camera - the site would live on strong. But I realize that would be a risky and time-consuming investment.

It was a great site, Tim. And I certainly appreciate what you did.

Edited by Keneu Luca

Wow. I am a 23yo in Minnesota and I have been going over your site for the last couple days. I just noticed your message on the index page today, and by coincidence happened across this forum soon after.

I acquired a 16s a few years ago, and am just getting around (being able to afford) buying some film for it.

I have a couple dormant domains and I would be willing to host an archive of the website if you are interested. It would either be at mathstatic.com/arri16s and/or realisticom.com/arri16s.

Just thought I would make the offer since I found the site to be a fantastic resource.

• Premium Member
I have a couple dormant domains and I would be willing to host an archive of the website if you are interested. It would either be at mathstatic.com/arri16s and/or realisticom.com/arri16s.

Just thought I would make the offer since I found the site to be a fantastic resource.

Depending on how big it is I could throw it on my site as a sub-site too; I have an unlimited hosting account. for adriansierkowski.com, though I'm limited in upload sizes to around 150mb per file.

Hey Max and Adrian, thanks for the offers. Great minds (or maybe feeble minds) think alike, as I've spent the last three hours creating a mirror site, attached to another web site I own. So all the pictures, video, information and PDF manuals are now available at the original site (until Feb 8th):

Arri16S.com

And at the new mirror site:

Arri 16S

We'll see how that works for now.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Hey Tim.

Glad you were able to set up a mirror site. If Adrian is not able to set you up with his hosting service, I'd be glad to try it out with mine. Just shoot me a PM if you need a hand. That site should not leave the web.

Edited by Bill DiPietra

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Well, it's Back.

To many folks were having a problem finding the mirror site, so I repurchased the original domain name and piggybacked it on another web hosting plan.

So you can find everything at:

Arri16S.com

Best,

-Tim

Well, it's Back.

To many folks were having a problem finding the mirror site, so I repurchased the original domain name and piggybacked it on another web hosting plan.

So you can find everything at:

Arri16S.com

Best,

-Tim

Great news! :)

Wonderful website!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
  • Premium Member

Like a bad penny, you just can't get rid of this little camera's web site.

I've reposted what used to be the Arri16S.com web site. I no longer own the domain name, so the new web address is as below:

http://www.analogcams.com/Arri16S1.htm

The video clips of all the different lenses available for the camera no longer work, as the Sorenson Pro 3 codec from 2006 is no longer compatible with the current internet, that may someday get fixed, but for now it's not working. All the other information, including the user manuals for the cameras, and information about barney's, motors, blimps, etc. can all be found on the site.

Best,

-Tim

• Upvote 3

• 5 years later...